Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
KellyCo Metal DetectorsGarrett Metal Detectors
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOWhite's Electronics
Minelab
DetectorProKellyCo Metal DetectorsPredator ToolsEast Texas Treasure Outfitters
JLowe’s GunsCivil War RelicsJDug Metal Detector RentalsOld Rebellion War Relics & Miniatures

Re: Model 1832 General Staff Waist Belt Plate

The purpose of our the SHRRA is to research, find and preserve artifacts of our American Heritage. The meeting is the first Monday of every month at the Italian Pie Restaurant in Slidell, La. The Italian Pie is located at 1319 Gause Blvd., Slidell, La. (985) 661-0240. Fellowship starts at 6:30 PM.

belt plate
March 24, 2008 12:34AM
So, what does the obverse mean to ya? Hmmm?

proud g.g.grandson of Willis Richard Simmons, Pvt, 38th MS Rgt, CSA, and a host of other Confederates who fought for Independence from Abe Lincoln's "United" states. President of SHRRA in Louisiana. Forty years detecting; current machines-White's TDI, Minelab Etrac, Troy Shadow X-5,', Nautilus IIBa, White's PI PRO Dual Field, CZ20, Garrett's Probe, White's probe, Detectopro Pocket Uniprobe PI. President of SHRRA in Louisiana.

REAL NICE FIND!!!!! (n/t)
May 15, 2009 05:21PM
This message does not contain any text.
Cool plate! (n/t)
May 07, 2008 08:20PM
nice plate wtg!!!!metal detecting smiley (n/t)
April 27, 2008 11:37AM

TonyMusser proud of my ancestors Corp Michael J Musser,Pvt William J musser,Pvt Thomas J Musser 63rd Regiment Virginia Vols CSA Army of Tennesse,,pvt David crockett cole 1st reg Va calvary,pvt thomas v cole 1st reg Va calvary,pvt Jackson Haga 51st Va Inf,ggggrandfather elbert t haga co i 51st Va Inf
Re: Nice plate ,, but i cant help you . (n/t)
March 28, 2008 12:46PM
Very nice plate!!!! (n/t)
March 24, 2008 12:40PM
Re: belt plate
March 24, 2008 12:17PM
This is the front and back of a solid brass, gold plated plate I dug yesterday. Anyone know what this appears to be? I think a wreath is missing, possibly a lyre (musical instrument) is missing from the front, and the hook in the center of the obverse is missing. The gilt is almost all gone on the rear, except right rear cornoer little else, but 90+ gilt is present on the front. Thanks.

proud g.g.grandson of Willis Richard Simmons, Pvt, 38th MS Rgt, CSA, and a host of other Confederates who fought for Independence from Abe Lincoln's "United" states. President of SHRRA in Louisiana. Forty years detecting; current machines-White's TDI, Minelab Etrac, Troy Shadow X-5,', Nautilus IIBa, White's PI PRO Dual Field, CZ20, Garrett's Probe, White's probe, Detectopro Pocket Uniprobe PI. President of SHRRA in Louisiana.

Re: belt plate
April 02, 2008 11:56PM
Here are some pix of the plate Reggie found. It is one of these two styles, it is hard to tell with precision because of the missing wreath but I think it is the second plate with the closed wreath. If you examine Reggie's pix the evidence from the remains of the wreath appear to indicate number two, the closed style.
You can also see how the remains of the solder from the letter on Reggie's plate appears to match the Old English "U" in U.S.

This is an 1832 Dragoon Plate. Note the belt attachment is also on the right.

Although Reggie's plate is missing the tongue this is how it should look.

Once again, well done....!!!
Model 1832 General Staff Waist Belt Plate
April 02, 2008 08:25PM
Reggie,
This is a spectacular find!!!

What you have dug up is a model 1832 General Staff Officer's plate Ca. 1834 to 1838.

The wreath would have surrounded two Old English Script letters : U.S. The solder from the "U" is clearly visible and matches an Old English "U" and the wreath is "dead on" to the 1832 plate.

There is more information about this plate in the book: American Military Belt Plates by O'Donnell and Campbell beginning on page 134. Stanly Kerkis also references it, with pictures, in his well known book.

The plate was designed by Robert Dingee of New York and submitted to the ordinance department for approval in 1833. It was issued in 1834.
Dingee subcontracted out the casting and gilding but his workmen finished the plates and soldered on the silver chased wreaths and letters. One of his workmen apparently suffered from Dyslexia since the loop which attaches to the belt faces left on yours instead of right. While this configuration can sometimes indicate a Dragoon Buckle, the 1832 Dragoon Buckle had the belt attachment on the right as well.

This is a wonderful find and you are to be congratulated. There are not many 1832 plates around, much less dug. I would rather dig an early U.S. plate any day than a C/W sword belt plate which were made in the thousands....not that I would turn one down smiling smiley
Depending on the history of the site where it was dug the owner could have served in the early Indian Wars and later in the Mexican War.
I look forward to seeing it "in person" soon.
Best Regards,
Richard
April 02, 2008 09:49PM
One of the tremendous assets of membership in the SHRRA is the knowledge of its individual members, their willingness to volunteer their assistance, and their fantastic resources, including all the friends they can call on for research. After many false leads, Richard Angelico "broke the code" and figured out the origin of this belt plate. Without his help, I don't think I would have ever learned where or when it came into existence.
After having spent a six day stint in GA in early March looking for artifacts of the Atlanta campaign with ZERO results, I was a little discouraged.
This Easter surprise (literally) has rekindled the old flame, and I look forward to sharing the short story with you at the SHRRA meeting Monday night at Shoneys in Slidell. I now know the names of the probable owners of the belt plate and the wars they fought in, to a reasonable probability.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2008 10:02PM by Reggie.
April 02, 2008 11:39PM
Reggie,
There will be no "short" stories about this. We need to hear the whole "magilla" on your find from idea to hunt there and why to the find to the identification. A lot can be learned from your experience by our newer members.
Richard
Nice plate!!! (n/t)
March 24, 2008 11:52AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014