Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOWhite's Electronics
KellyCo Metal DetectorsGarrett Metal Detectors
Minelab
KellyCo Metal DetectorsAmerican DiggerDetectorPro
CS Sales & ServicesOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesJDug Metal Detector RentalsFort Bedford Metal Detectors

Re: Noob here...

We are an active club of 60+ members mostly from central Wisconsin and run a large national hunt the last full weekend of July each year. Our meetings are held at Shooters restaurant and bar located at the intersection of I-39 and State Hiway 54 across from the Gulf station. Meeting time is the third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. GUESTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME!

Noob here...
August 02, 2008 09:50PM
Just wanted to drop in and say hi... HI!

I live in Horicon and just bought a Garrett 250. I read the book and watched the video. Took it for a test drive. Lets just say I have a lot to figure out with it. I went to a public park and knew that there would be a bunch of trash in the area. Found foil, tabs, and bottle caps. Even though the detector was indicating coins... Need to work on that pin pointing thing too... So I have a lot to sort. Any tips?

Thanks
Phil
Welcome to Treasure Spot! (n/t)
August 20, 2008 09:59AM
This message does not contain any text.
August 03, 2008 01:25PM
Thanks Steve... Didn't know about the signal both ways. Yes I am in all metals. Went out for a bit this morning and had some better luck... Found a shotgun shell. bottle cap and 3 pennies. Figured out the pin pointing better so that made digging easier. Sensitivity has been turned down some because I was getting erratic signals. So I followed what the DVD said, decrease sensitivity...

Pennies flashed right under the 1cent indicator or the box just to the right. I think I have determined the "distinct" coin beep.

I must say that I am having fun learning this.

Thanks!
Phil
August 03, 2008 09:13PM
Welcome , all detectors need about a 80 hr hands on learning curve, I usually use a new detector in all metal to start with , then when i find a target then i switch to discriminate this will give me an idea of any depth loss between all metal and discriminate ,checking at 90 degrees like Steve said and getting an identical signal both ways is a good way to determine a good target and to pinpoint., bear in mind iron/steel artifacts are good finds also rings can show up anywhere on the indicator. I have had good luck (back in the 1970s) in the Theresa area and Allenton (Not too far for you) also many spots on the Rock river. Fon du lac is also close too you with history dating back to the fur trade. Good luck and post your items always fun to see what can be found.Dont know if your model has tone settings but garret used to have a bell tone setting that was very reliable to indicate good targets, when you get over a target and wigle the coil backand forth over it it will sound like a slot machine paying out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2008 09:17PM by juliodog.
August 03, 2008 09:54PM
Still confused on one part...

I understand doing research on the history of an area. Once thats done and you have decided to investigate that area, where do you go? Public hunting grounds, knocking on doors to ask, or....???

I am not opposed to driving. I am not working so I could go anywhere almost any day.

Thanks!
Phil
August 04, 2008 06:08PM
I have had luck on private lands just by asking, state lands you must get a permit go to the dnr offices in the area you want to hunt and they will fill you in on the rules and issue a permit
August 02, 2008 11:02PM
If you found foil when you were looking for coins you need help. maybe senitvity to high other wise foil should read really low on the scale maybe you are in all metal program.
Kinda hard to tell you with out being there. Did you run coin targets over coil to see where they fall. Make sure you get a solid repeatable signal both ways not a broken signal.,
When you get the good signal then look at the screen to see where it is falling.
Hope this helps, Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 50
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013