Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsWhite's Electronics
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMinelab
Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
DetectorProAmerican DiggerEast Texas Treasure Outfitters
JDug Metal Detector RentalsCS Sales & ServicesJLowe’s GunsCivil War Relics

CSS Neuse II Ironclad

CSS Neuse II Ironclad
June 23, 2009 02:11PM
OK I posted some pictures of an old relic Fort Macon for you artillery guys now I am posting some pictures of the CSS Neuse II Ironclad which is a full size replica / museum of the CSS Neuse which was built at Whitehall NC now Seven Springs NC and floated to Kinston NC for the fitting of the iron and guns, and later burned by the south to keep it out of federal hands. The CSS Neuse II was built by a local ship wright with the help of volunteer labor and is now open to the public a few days a week. These pictures are for you navy guys hope you enjoy.
Sorry for the power lines and pole in the pictures there was no way around them to give full view of ship.

on the "VERG" of the motherload
Glen Heath

thanks for the pic's.... (n/t)
July 17, 2009 06:50PM
This message does not contain any text.
Kewl!!!!!!! (n/t)
June 29, 2009 02:23PM
That's fascinating! (n/t)
June 29, 2009 09:04AM
Re: CSS Neuse II Ironclad
June 27, 2009 10:51PM
never seen pictures of CSS Neuse ll Ironclad before.
I live right down the road from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 08:52AM by dirt predator.
Thnaks for sharing, those are some nice pictures (n/t)
June 27, 2009 01:18PM
WOW- Can you go inside the ship? (n/t)
June 24, 2009 09:10PM
Re: WOW- Can you go inside the ship?
June 25, 2009 08:21AM
Yes it is open a few days a week although construction is complete, they have the boiler in place and some other item, but they still have some work to do getting everything acquired and installed like cooking items, bedding, powder kegs, etc. It is very amazing sitting there at 158 feet long and 35 feet. The walk way to the inside is on the back side of the pictures that were posted.

Glen Heath
Great Pictures, Thanks for Sharing! (n/t)
June 24, 2009 08:22PM
Re: CSS Neuse II Ironclad
June 24, 2009 11:14AM
Neet pics< thanks for shareing!
That is very cool! Thanks! (n/t)
June 24, 2009 07:36AM

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. ~Henry David Thoreau
Thanks for the pics (n/t)
June 23, 2009 06:31PM
Thanks Verg!
June 23, 2009 06:21PM
I didn't get to see it with Tim and Quinn when I was down there, we just spent too much time out md'ing!! I hope I can make it down there again and see it this time.

Willoughby Smitty, purveyor of fine rusted iron, aluminum cans, and pull tabs since 1995!

"I visited a number of our field hospitals, and it was the most affecting sight I ever saw, to see so many of our poor fellows breathing out their noble lives. A young man to my left, as I passed through a ward in which most of the patients were regarded as mortally wounded, knowing that dissolution was near, was dictating a last message to his young wife; and another to my right was directing a comrade by his side to send some loving word to his mother; and near by another, whose countenance showed that life was fast ebbing away, looked intently on a picture of some dear one at home for a moment and then fell to weeping. Others were undergoing great mental as well as physical suffering, because they were conscious that they were going to die far away from homes and friends. But the groans and agonies of these brave men shall not have been in vain. Future generations will enjoy the blessings that their blood has helped to purchase. It would be base ingratitude on the part of those for whom they died, were they to make no effort to commemorate their glorious actions."
-Wiley Britton
-Memoirs of the Rebellion on the Border, 1863-
WOW THAT'S PRETTY COOL VERG !!! I"LL TRY TO GET DOWN THERE SOMETIME..thumbs down (n/t)
June 23, 2009 05:16PM

James A. Farley
That is awesome. I would love to go and see that. (n/t)
June 23, 2009 03:15PM
You are all over my old stomping ground.

Description of Robert E. Lee

He looked as though he ought to have been, and was, the monarch of the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 02:38PM by SharkHunter.
Bob I live in Kinston and have a place at Emerald Isle which is on 20 miles from Fort Macon so I go there quite often. I use to go by the Neuse II during my lunch hour to see the progress of the ship. When I was very young my dad use to take my brother and myself to watch while the crew worked at getting the CSS Neuse out of the river where it was burned and sank. They had a big tent set up with all the cannon balls and shells sitting there that they were getting off her while they worked.

Glen Heath
We had a camper trailer at the Travel Park for a few summers
June 23, 2009 08:59PM
There is a fort at that end of the island.

Description of Robert E. Lee

He looked as though he ought to have been, and was, the monarch of the world
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013