Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsMinelab
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
White's Electronics
American DiggerEast Texas Treasure OutfittersPredator Tools
Fort Bedford Metal DetectorsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesCS Sales & ServicesCivil War Relics

Re: New to metal detecting

The Middle Tennessee Treasure Hunters Club was founded in 1971 by a small group of metal-detector enthusiasts. In 1983 the club changed its name to the Middle Tennessee Historical Research Association (MTHRA) in order to reflect the broader historical interests of many club members. We have now come full circle and in October of 1999 we changed our name to Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club. We realized that although many of our members do have historical research interests the name often confused folks who couldn't understand our primary purpose. Our club now has well over 100 members and is growing monthly in members who share our interests.

Meeting location: Charlotte Pike, Nashville, Tennessee
Meeting Time: First Friday of every month 7:00 PM

New to metal detecting
March 25, 2012 09:06PM
Hi everyone!

I'm just looking for some tips... I know there are a lot of posts with this, but what I'm really looking for is:

Are there any laws against metal detecting? I know you can't go onto someone's property without asking, and I heard you can't metal detect in parks... but other than that, are there any lost/found rules or anything else I should be wary of?
Is there any local lore about lost treasures?
Metal detecting and geocaching... what's the deal there?
Is there any gold in the Nashville area?
Any other tidbits of info...please share!!

Thanks!

Scott
Re: New to metal detecting
March 29, 2012 11:41AM
Hi. I am also new to metal detecting. I actually bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 back in late 2004 while I was living in the mountains of western North Carolina, but I seldom used it. I think I was a little intimidated because I was unsure how to use it properly and was afraid that I might look as if I didn't know what I was doing (Ha! Ha! I didn't!!!). But, here recently I dug it out of the box (it still looks brand new!) and have started using it and becoming familiar with it...its features and its limitations. Are any of you familiar with the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, and if so, did I make a good choice? Was it a good choice for a beginner or should I have opted for something more simple to use. By the way, I live in Clarksville, Tennessee and have been attempting to acclimate myself the the BH 505 by using it in the gravel parking lots of bars! LOL. My way of thinking is that drunks might be dropping lots of change in the parking lots while they are fishing their car keys out of their pockets! So far I have been quite lucky in finding loose change in the parking lots, but I do find that once I have dug down about 2 inches, the crushed gravel becomes almost like hardened concrete and almost impossible to penetrate. Do any of you also experience that same problem, and if so, how do you deal with it? O.K. Thanks in advance for your responses. Sincerely, Bobby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 42
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014