Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras
KellyCo Metal Detectors Black Box Stocks
White's Electronics Minelab
Garrett Metal Detectors Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
KellyCo Metal Detectors North Georgia Detectors American Digger
Old Rebellion War Relics & Miniatures Reid's Detector Batteries Fort Bedford Metal Detectors Civil War Relics

A successful First Day in the Field.

The Middle Tennessee Treasure Hunters Club was founded in 1971 by a small group of metal-detector enthusiasts. In 1983 the club changed its name to the Middle Tennessee Historical Research Association (MTHRA) in order to reflect the broader historical interests of many club members. We have now come full circle and in October of 1999 we changed our name to Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club. We realized that although many of our members do have historical research interests the name often confused folks who couldn't understand our primary purpose. Our club now has well over 100 members and is growing monthly in members who share our interests.

Meeting location: Charlotte Pike, Nashville, Tennessee
Meeting Time: First Friday of every month 7:00 PM

A successful First Day in the Field.
April 30, 2012 11:26PM
My first real time "in the field" was an amazing success. I didn't find any gold, silver or pirate booty, but did recover some great historical artifacts.

I arrived on site and started searching the perimeter of the field where I suspected a house to have existed in the late 1800's. I immediately found an iron plow blade, and iron bar and a wonderful old iron axe head that has to weigh close to 10 lbs. All of these were about 14-18" in the ground. I started hitting on barbed wire from an old fence near by and moved my search to the middle of the field near a very old apple tree.

Within moments I had found more iron products and I spent more than two hours scouring an area about 50' in diameter. I found a large number of rough made nails, a couple of very large threaded nuts (6 +/- ounces each), two threaded rods about 20" long (one with a nut rusted onto it), an iron miners spike (about 12" long) and then I had a weak hit.... a mason jar lid (zinc with ceramic liner). I got very excited thinking I was about to find a cache of coins or paper money but alas it was just a discarded lid. I did find another whole lid later but it also was alone. I found a portion of a large cross-cut saw and then found the brass face of a skeleton-keyed pad lock that said "Lox-Wel." I searched heavily for the rest of the lock and body but found nothing more than the brass face.

The final treasure of the day was an antique cast iron cobblers shoe mold which looks to accommodate a child's foot, about size 5. I thought at first it was a head to a garden hoe but realized the hole to insert the stand wouldn't accommodate a hoe handle.

All of these finds were between 12" and 18" deep in an open field area close to a really old apple tree. I will photograph and attach the photos of my finds tomorrow.

Fortunately, I own this parcel of land and will engage my large mower tomorrow to remove every scrap of green hay and butter cups that I can from the entire area. I figure that if I am to thoroughly search this area, it will be easier with closely mowed grass instead of knee deep hay and buttercups. I found out this afternoon that the area was home to a number of negro families who were sharecropping the area. I probably won't find coins or wealth as I doubt they had any tangible valuables such as we would find with a metal detector. It is provocative and exciting to experience this bit of history from the 1800's to early 1900's.

Oh yeah, by the way.... I'm hooked on metal detecting now!

John - Dickson, Tennessee

"Trash, treasure, who cares? I still prefer to be enjoying the outdoors."

1994 model White's 6000/Di PRO SL with Blue Max DeepScan 950 coil
Re: A successful First Day in the Field.
April 30, 2012 11:30PM
It just dawned on me that one of the shaped iron rods that I found could be the base to the cast iron shoe mold. I can't wait to get them cleaned up and see if it fits!

John - Dickson, Tennessee

"Trash, treasure, who cares? I still prefer to be enjoying the outdoors."

1994 model White's 6000/Di PRO SL with Blue Max DeepScan 950 coil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018