Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
White's ElectronicsGarrett Metal Detectors
MinelabKellyCo Metal Detectors
Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
DetectorProPredator ToolsKellyCo Metal Detectors
Fort Bedford Metal DetectorsJDug Metal Detector RentalsCivil War RelicsCS Sales & Services

Mentors, heroes, and legends

Mentors, heroes, and legends
January 17, 2011 10:46AM
With every passing day, it seems like we lose another noted member of the relic or treasure hunting community. Tonight we ask you “Who do you want to remember?” Was it a legendary person in the hobby, a mentor, or just a friend? Give them their due tonight on Relic Roundup.

Tune in at link below, call in to talk to us, join in our chatroom, or just listen. Tune in (Monday, Jan 17, at 9 PM EST) on Relic Roundup at the link below from 9-10 PM EST. http://relicroundup.blogspot.com/

See you there,

Butch Holcombe
Publisher of American Digger Magazine
and co-host of Relic Roundup
My friend Al...THing Buddy and Hero......USA
January 17, 2011 05:58PM
He passed on 1-20-2002....I shall always be thankful for knowing him......

He was the kindest man I ever knew....and in my opinion.....

The greatest relic hunter that there ever was......

Butch...Sorry I can't make it tonight.....but I hope some folk's will call in with stories about John.....

He touched a lot of lives....and I wanted to be sure he was mentioned....

Thanks....jL

Jimmy is this the same John Jackson in Crouch's book?
January 17, 2011 05:37PM
There's a picture of a blues singer named John Jackson in Crouch's book p.12 holding a RG (Richmond Grays) plate he just found. If so he must he must have passed on some good stories and sorry for the loss of your friend.
John Jackson: Raised in a large, musical farm family in Rappahannock County, Virginia, John Jackson (1924 - 2002) was the most important black Appalachian musician to come to broad public attention during the mid - 1960s. Having learned guitar and his wide - ranging stock of songs as a youth from family and 78 rpm recordings, he enthralled major audiences during more than three decades with his vintage style and repertoire. Culled from hundreds of live concert recordings in the Smithsonian folklife archives, John Jackson the way he most wanted to be remembered - As a bluesman. (Taken from his " Rappahannock Blues " CD ).
I don't have the book handy.....
January 17, 2011 07:03PM
but I'm sure that is him by the your description.....Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013