Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOKellyCo Metal Detectors
MinelabGarrett Metal Detectors
White's Electronics
Predator ToolsKellyCo Metal DetectorsAmerican DiggerDetectorPro
Civil War RelicsFort Bedford Metal DetectorsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesJDug Metal Detector Rentals

Never hunted out... is it?! (n/t)

I always set some expectations at the beginning of each hunt. I don't know what keeps us continuing to hunt these sites most. Expections of what possibilities exist, or, the result and surprise of what you find. Either way, both of these get me out in the woods time after time.

See video:

The fact that my initial assessment in the hole that this item was a plate, this new discovery is turning out better than I thought. I have many plates, but I had no RailRoad Lantern.

The circle object on the top is called a wrist bale. The RR's modified the early models of this lantern to make the wrist bale larger so that it would free up the users hands by looping it on their arm while they walked. According to a RR Lantern expert Tom Walsh, "Fixed globe lanterns date back to the earliest days of railroading. Their main characteristic is a globe that is fixed, that is, cemented into the lantern frame. Many companies made fixed globe lanterns. The heyday of this lantern type -- roughly the decades before, during, and after the Civil War -- preceded the era when a few large companies came to dominate the industry with standard models. The large number of companies in the business meant a wide variety of frame characteristics and globe shapes, since each small manufacturer came up with its own innovations and product development. This was the time period when railroad construction in the U.S. was most active in the Northeast, so most railroad markings found on fixed globe lanterns are from lines in this region. Moreover, the large majority of these are from New England.
The earliest fixed globe lanterns tended to lack guard wires, that is, wires that formed a "cage" surrounding the globe. According to Tom Walsh, "The addition of a cage to protect the globe can be documented as early as 1850... Whether or not a railroad used caged lanterns seems to be a matter of geography and lantern manufacturer, than of the time period it was made. It seems New England makers did not generally make caged lanterns until the late 1870s. During this same time period, lantern makers in New York State and the Chicago area made caged lanterns more often than their New England counterparts."

This would make sense because the lantern I dug is caged, the camp I dug it out of is a New York infantry camp. The round disk had 6 holes where the (6) brass wires passed through. Of course, the parts I found are without the glass globe which is where the MFG Co. embossed it's logo, and the pinch pot (the holder of the wick and oil). But, it was the end of the day and I didn't have time to expand the hole. I plan on making a return trip in the near future to hopefully recover the globe, pinch pot and remaining parts. At least I have a few pictures now to aid me in putting my pieces back together.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 02:13PM by Dave.

This message does not contain any text.
Nice Research Dave (n/t)
January 21, 2012 05:11PM
Nice Video (n/t)
January 20, 2012 06:38AM
Nice Video Dave, enjoyed it.
January 19, 2012 10:38PM
Beautiful Whiskey!
nice digs looks like that gpx is doing the job!CSA (n/t)
January 19, 2012 07:23PM

TonyMusser proud of my ancestors Corp Michael J Musser,Pvt William J musser,Pvt Thomas J Musser 63rd Regiment Virginia Vols CSA Army of Tennesse,,pvt David crockett cole 1st reg Va calvary,pvt thomas v cole 1st reg Va calvary,pvt Jackson Haga 51st Va Inf,ggggrandfather elbert t haga co i 51st Va Inf
Great video presentation. clap
January 19, 2012 12:56PM
Irregardless of the price the GPX is the best detector available.
Great video, thanks for sharing. (n/t)
January 19, 2012 09:56AM
Great presentation, I really liked this one, Dave. (n/t)
January 19, 2012 09:12AM

http://kcsteve.wix.com/kcsteve
Nice video! (n/t)
January 18, 2012 10:40PM
Realy enjoyed the video Dave!!!! (n/t)
January 18, 2012 09:40PM
Never hunted out... is it?! (n/t)
January 18, 2012 08:16PM
Very good vid and congrats on the bottle (n/t)
January 18, 2012 07:59PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013