Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
White's ElectronicsGarrett Metal Detectors
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
Minelab
DetectorProEast Texas Treasure OutfittersKellyCo Metal Detectors
JLowes GunsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesCS Sales & ServicesFort Bedford Metal Detectors

Re: Some changes at American Digger Magazine

Some changes at American Digger Magazine
March 27, 2012 07:10PM
After much deliberation, we have decided to drop American Digger’ Magazine’s association with Rick Savage, who until this month wrote our Savage Facts column. The parting was amicable, and we appreciate his work on his column and past promotions of the magazine . We won’t lie, our dropping his association was in great part because of the controversy his TV show has created, and the confusion that American Digger Magazine had anything more than a passing association with the Spike TV series which shares our name.
Please, if you enjoy or have enjoyed American Digger Magazine in the past, continue to do so, because we will not change our format: A good digging magazine for those more concerned with historical values than market values.
We wish those connected with the show well, but had to further make a distinction between the magazine and show. We hope this helps clear things up.
Regards,
Butch Holcombe, Publisher
American Digger Magazine
www.americandigger.com
Some changes at American Digger Magazine
March 12, 2013 02:56PM
I applaud your actions!!!!
WOW!, I must be way behind the times. I just watched this show for the first time a couple of nights ago. I was surprised at some of the claims of items that were recovered. Maybe it was because of differences in the soil where they were digging, but some of the items didn't even appear to have any dirt on them after they were dug. Did anyone else see the similarities with the pouch inside the milk jug and a DIV dig when the change purse was recovered? I don't know, maybe I'm just super skeptical because of the way it was portrayed on film. Let's see..... you find, trash, trash, nothing, trash, nothing and then JACKPOT! More than once, too! My middle child (8 y/o boy) got a kick out of it. He thought it was reality. I reminded him of some of our digs and he was quick to point out how they must be really lucky. I just laughed.

I've always wanted to go hot air ballooning. I think I'll try to look up Mr. Savage first in case I need a back up supply of hot air!

I'm not the fig plucker and I'm not the fig plucker's son,
but I'll pluck the figs until the fig plucker comes!
September 16, 2012 08:29AM
ecross, follow the following instructions and you will be a lot better off. Bend at the waist and reach down and grap your ears. Pull real hard until you get fresh air. Head out of ass always helps. You sir are nothing more than a real jerk.
September 16, 2012 07:30AM
Way to go American Digger!!!!!!!!!!!

Secretary of the SOUTHERN HISTORICAL RESEARCH And RECOVERY ASSOCIATION
This message does not contain any text.

~~ "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain ~~
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2012 07:15AM by Creskol.
September 16, 2012 01:15AM
Very interesting thoughts from an entire "outraged" community of intellectuals who claim they have no qualities that exemplify capitalism, and make a scapegoat out of a man who has been incredibly successful with his body and his mind. It shames me to think that you as educated people haven't judged Robert Ballard, Zahi Hawass, Simcha Jacobovici and many others for using media and methods to earn a living which lifted a veil covering what and how an archaeologist makes a living. Perhaps your group also judges the likes of Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison and Orville and Wilbur Wright for making a living and becoming self educated to make a living? Shame on you "educated" arrogant, pompous, self-righteous left wingers. I think the work that Ric Savage has done in becoming successful, educated, and non-judgemental of the likes of you should be a lesson learned and appreciated. But lets face it, you will sit in your late night lecture groups and professor driven classes talking about how much better you are than this man. Just remember, those who teach and judge....do so out of jealousy and lack of success.
March 13, 2013 08:44PM
ecross
Very interesting thoughts ...blah blah blah....and lack of success.

I somehow missed this one. How funny! Is "ecross" Rick Savage's pseudonym? Rick has gone back to his wrestling days where everything is staged. 'nuff said.
Wow
March 13, 2013 07:50PM
Ecross,,,You must either be educated or a wrestling fan (same difference), I can vision your Rick Savage fat head on your wall as you watch WWF and repeat it's real, it's real, it's real.. Dude this relic community has done more for the good than savage will ever do and follow your own directions and disappear..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 11:07AM by p-cap.
thumbs down Good Move Butch!!! thumbs down (n/t)
March 31, 2012 04:08PM
Butch, Anita... You all know I will stick with ya!
March 31, 2012 01:29PM
I know you made the right choice... I agree with many of the others below... You need to press the fact that the Magazine and show have NO relationship! How did they get to use your name anyway? Isn't American Digger copyrighted or trade marked?

I love and respect Big Bobby B... he has helped me out alot in this hobby, but that show is a disaster for our hobby... Bob, you deserve better...

Ric Savage acts like (and poorly act if i may say so) a pompus @ss know it all...

I cant stand watching but I cant help myself.... I want to be able to know what happened so I can defend myself and others in this great hobby....

On the other hand, I look forward to every American Digger magazine issue with anticipation and excitment! Keep it coming Butch! And keep letting EVERYONE know that the two are not related... JMHO...

Your most obediant servant...

Doc Rodney
Great move Butch and Anita
March 29, 2012 08:52PM
Your magazine has stood the test of time while others just faded away. It is your dedication to the hobby and its inherent values that make it so popular among serious diggers. With this decision you have proved your sincerity and dedication to not only your values but for all of us who put history and heritage first and profit and bravado last.

John in Wilmington

A government big enough to give you everything that you want is big enough to take away everything that you have. T. Jefferson
Wise move
March 29, 2012 04:11PM
I have watched both episodes and was deeply disappointed in the showboating and chest thumping that was going on by Mr. Savage, and only Mr. Savage. That crap belongs in the wrestling ring and not the field and that's where he should have left it. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I don't care. This is the second "reality" metal detecting show that has embarrassed this hobby. I'm crossing my fingers for a swift cancellation. Flame away....
Excellent Move!!
March 29, 2012 11:51AM
Now, I won't have to write my "letter to the editor" asking why this clown is writing a column in my favorite relic magazine.
A suggestion, if I may
March 29, 2012 11:48AM
I would strongly suggest you make an official press release regading this issue. Set your magazine and the majority of responsible relic hunters apart from those on the show. Tell our side of the story to the press that has been repeating the archeologists attacks since the start of these shows. I'm sure some news agencies would pick up the story. Twice already today I've had to correct people who believe that AD Mag is directly related to the show. Just my 2 cents.
Guilt by association
March 29, 2012 11:33AM
Excellent move Butch. You and your crew have worked too hard to create an amazing magazine. With any luck, the show will get cancelled and you won't be wrongly associated with that train wreck. Good reputations are hard to earn and easy to ruin. Best of luck to you.
Good move...great magazine! (n/t)
March 29, 2012 08:12AM
March 29, 2012 05:46AM
After watching the show a few times I knew it had nothing in common with the values of American Digger magazine. Putting a price on everything you find is something I taught my son long ago not to do. And the recreation of the DIV digging of the coin purse last night was the last straw for me. At least throw a little dirt on it. The show is an insult to diggers who truly enjoy making finds just for the pleasure of the history involved. I won't watch it again. Just frustrates me thinking about it.
March 29, 2012 09:23AM
I agree and at the same time dont. I think the mag. made the right decision as the show has nothing to do with the mag. As far as the show, as a new digger who loves digging buttons more than anything, I find it somewhat entertaning. My father who is not into digging called me and said he enjoyed it. He said it was educational as far as their supposive finds and the area they are digging in.
To each his own but our family will continue watching it. Oh, and I do plan on subscribing to the mag.

John
thumbs down (n/t)
March 28, 2012 09:01PM
March 28, 2012 10:06AM
Butch,

I have to say, this is a good move...I continue to read on other forums, where people refer to AD as "Savage's" magazine or "the show's" magazine...as long as you share the same name on the same subject, it is going to be hard to people not, "in the know" to disassociate the two...I personally hope you can...American Digger magazine is a quality, classy magazine that promotes responsible relic hunting...the TV show, in my opinion, is a train wreck and will probably do more to damage this hobby than any one person or group ever has in the history of it...my $.02 worth...take care and keep up the great work!

Greg

Bringing you REAL relic hunting videos since 2006.

Subscribe for the most up to date releases: http://www.youtube.com/scdigger

Excellent decision, in my opinion. Thank you. (n/t)
March 28, 2012 09:53AM
I need to renue my Subscription. Please send me E-Mail...Jesse. (n/t)
March 28, 2012 09:13AM
lifetime subscription here butch! (n/t)
March 28, 2012 08:38AM

If they knock me off my feet i'll walk on my knees, Knock me off my knees and ill walk on my balls, and my balls have calluses. NBF!
Thank you a bunch!
March 27, 2012 11:30PM
I know you all probably are still ill with me about the thread a week or so ago, but I honestly think this needed to be done. You guys have the best magazine out there and I know a lot of relic hunters were up in arms about all of it. Some could care less but I like folks who aren't afraid to step up and speak up. That's the problem in this country now...too many people have just cowed down and kept their mouth shut and their voice unheard, and we've sit back and let people take things from us that we should have stepped up and put a stop to. Use to a teacher in school could take a paddle and whip an unruly kid at school...then the kid would get it again when they got home. Thanks to ONE person who didn't agree with disciplining a child...now a teacher can't touch a kid and kids can walk all over their parents without fear of getting a good ole fashioned beating because they can be gotten for child abuse now days. ONE PERSON did that. Same for prayer being taken out of school....ONE PERSON...while the church people sit back, ignored it, said it wouldn't ever happen...and then it happened. Thank God for some folks who can still stand up and speak the truth no matter if it's popular or not.

I reckon I'll be renewing my subscription with ya'll soon. Keep fighting the good fight and don't go quietly into the night.
Excellent move!
March 29, 2012 01:13AM
Now I don't have to mail that letter I wrote suggesting, in my opinion, your magazine had been co-opted, if not disgraced by the association.
I AGREE with everything you said! I wish you'd run for political office! (n/t)
March 28, 2012 11:48AM
LOL I'd get assassinated
March 29, 2012 08:30AM
I'd be run in the ground by the liberal media. If I ever did get elected I'd be #1 on the hit list for millions of people.

One of the first things I'd do in office would be to make bi yearly drug tests mandatory for food stamps, welfare, and all other govt assisted living plans. That alone would put me in the top 5 of the hit lists. LOL Then for those that made it on it, we would put in a 2 kid limit on them...if they hit two, they get "fixed" so they can't have any more.

I also believe in helping people when you've got the resources to help. But I believe in helping our own first. A man shouldn't let his family starve while trying to help feed everybody else. This country is a mighty fine one, and we try to help everybody but our own. We've got people right here....military veterans, common workers who've worked their whole life to see their jobs go to other countries, and now they are jobless and can't find work....people that's worked their whole life for everything they got...only to have something come up they couldn't help (medical procedures, or emergencies) and because of having no insurance, they are now hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole...with no income to pay. So the people go after what they own and have worked hard for....land, homes, vehicles...etc. We've got people right here in our own country...in our own states...our own counties...our own cities...that are struggling. I believe we need to quit worrying about some starving dog or cat in some foreign country and start helping our own right here. Just my opinion. Don't get me started on this or I'll be on here all day LOL

Law abiding gun owners shouldn't have to jump through hoops to go purchase one...and then be helpless when some criminal breaks in their house trying to steal what they own. It's a pity something like that even goes to trial. All gun laws do is hinder the law abiding people...all a criminal has to do if they want a gun is to go break in somebody's house and steal one. LOL crazy messed up society.
I using you as a "write -in" on my ballot !
March 31, 2012 07:17PM
I'm telling you "You need to run for office". You'd diffentley have my VOTE.
I "Kinda Agree"....except for the "Beating kids" thing. (n/t)
March 28, 2012 03:38PM

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
March 27, 2012 08:59PM
Butch, my check for a 2 year subscription is going in the mail tomorrow. Great magazine.
missed you guys at DIV Butch........
March 27, 2012 08:49PM
hope the heck yall can make the next one. Wasnt quite the same without your smilin face.... give anita a squeeze for me............. Streak!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
smart move imho (n/t)
March 27, 2012 08:47PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014