Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsWhite's Electronics
MinelabKellyCo Metal Detectors
Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
KellyCo Metal DetectorsDetectorProAmerican DiggerPredator Tools
JDug Metal Detector RentalsCS Sales & ServicesOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesFort Bedford Metal Detectors

You covered several wars there, nice finds! clap (n/t)

Recent finds--homesite and battlefield
May 01, 2012 11:22PM
Found two more Sevier County TN dog tags today. That makes far 5 so far from this yard. Weird.
The Civil War finds are the first I've made since DIV. It was nice to finally see a mini ball again. Was really happy with the carved bullet. Thought for sure the tin back button was gonna be Confederate, but not to be. Sure was in the right place for it though.
Does anybody know what the decorative brass objects are in the photo with the dog tags?
Thanks for looking! GLD!
Tony

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

This message does not contain any text.
PICS of my Tennessee 1919 Dog Tags
May 04, 2012 11:37PM
Like I stated in my other post in this thread, an older gentleman, the local historian, guesses that these tags were for cattle that have been dipped in vats full of tick medicine during a major tick epidemic. This as his best guess, although he didn't seem too sure. He stated that he couldn't think of any other reason for them. I found several on the old homesite that I hunt frequently. And when I first see them in the ground, I am always hopeful that they are a large cent, since I have never dug one. I am assuming that "largies" are close to the same size as these tags. But I posted them to show how similiar yours are to mine. I am still not totally convinced of them being cattle tags. But if they are dog tags, then the owner of the old homesite that I hunt had several dogs. But I have also found one at two different sites in town. That added to the mystery. But in 1919, and I have seen pics of Savannah during that time, cattle were kept within the town limits. And in pics taken a few short years earlier, cattle......and hogs, roamed freely in the streets!! A fence was built around the courthouse in those days to keep the livestock out of the yard, along with the manure.
Anyway, here's a pic of tags that I have found. And again, congrats on all your finds in your pic.

About those dog tags......
May 04, 2012 12:08AM
You are the first person who has posted a pic of the same kind of tags that I am finding at an old homesite. The same style of lettering. Same format....everything!!!! Except mine says: Hardin County, Tenn and then a three of four digit number, and then 1919. The hole in mine is round. Yours is oblong. Do you know what these are for???? If you don't mind, in the morning (I'm heading to bed) I will post a pic of mine so that you can see how similar they are. I had an older history buff friend say that his best guess was that they were cattle tags given out by the govt for a major tick infestation during that period. Anyway, congrats on the other great finds. (First time I pulled one of those tags out of the ground I thought: MY FIRST LARGE CENT!!!!) LOL
Also really hoping someone can help with the identification of the decorative brass items. Ronr, Have you heard anymore about these?
Not that it means anything necessarily, but it will be interesting to research their intended purposes.

~~ "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain ~~
At first I thought it was from an oil lamp but there is no where for the wick to stick thru. Nobody was able to ID it when I posted it.

Interesting finds Tony,I like the 1921 dog tags (n/t)
May 02, 2012 08:42PM
Nice finds Tony... (n/t)
May 02, 2012 10:13AM
Nice dog tags Tony! (n/t)
May 02, 2012 09:49AM
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2012 09:50AM by ValleyDigger.
You covered several wars there, nice finds! clap (n/t)
May 02, 2012 09:28AM
Nice finds Tony. I like the half track buttonthumbs down (n/t)
May 02, 2012 07:31AM
Like the dog tags. Good saves. (n/t)
May 02, 2012 07:01AM
are from a lantern the chimney globe would sit inside of the decorative circle. I think that is what that is. the great seal button is a early one and the staff is late

Richard

treasure depot = Banned for Life & PROUD of it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013