Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
KellyCo Metal DetectorsGarrett Metal Detectors
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOWhite's Electronics
Minelab
American DiggerKellyCo Metal DetectorsDetectorPro
Old Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesFort Bedford Metal DetectorsCivil War RelicsJDug Metal Detector Rentals

What an awesome experiance for you and everyone attending

Funeral For 19 Friends, with Morgan Freeman.
June 25, 2012 03:57PM
I found an old VHS tape the other day, that I thought I had lost forever....now you can see what happens when you relic hunt responsibly, and it might change the way you think about what we do as relic hunters. It happened to me, it can happen to you.

On Memorial Day, 1989, the 19 African-American Soldiers that I discovered on Folly Beach, S.C. two years earlier, were laid to rest at the Beaufort National Cemetery in Beaufort S.C. It is a miracle that this tape exists, and that I do as well. In 1989, I was diagnosed with a life threatening illness. I had just endured three major surgeries in the two months before the re-burial. On the day of the re-burial, I checked myself out of the Duke Medical University, and attended this event with my family. My parents drove me to Beaufort, and to experience the event of a lifetime. My father had borrowed a VHS Video Camera, and he with no previous experience in using one, recorded this rare recording of one of the most historic moments in the history of our Country.
Thousands attended this, including then Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis, and the cast from the movie "Glory." The movie was just wrapping up filming in the area, and cast member Morgan Freeman, Producer Freddie Fields, along with the rest of the cast were in attendance.
Personally, for me, it was like living a dream. The absolute brilliance of the Military bearing of this event was awe inspiring. I was overwhelmed by the hundreds of people, who wanted to thank me and shake my hand, and I even received my fare share of hugs and kisses of gratitude that day. All for doing what I love and still love to this day, history.
Now, here in the summer of 2012, you can see what took place those twenty-three years ago. A glimpse into a day, that was as historic, as it was beautiful. The pageantry along with the muffled drum beats, the fife playing, the twenty-one gun salute, and the playing of Taps for men who so long ago gave the last full measure.
For me, that day is a part of me that will never die. And in the time since this day of days, my Mother and Father who were with me on this special day, are too buried in this same Cemetery near where the 55Th Massachusetts were lain to rest.
They are in excellent company there. Under the Spanish moss, oaks and palmettos. Where heroes spend eternity.

I dedicate this film to my new Grand Child, Mora. May she one day see this, and be reminded of not only what he grandfather contributed to history, but to also understand the richness of the history of her Country, that is also a part of her.

Relics from a bygone era..
Thanks for sharing... (n/t)
June 28, 2012 10:08PM
This message does not contain any text.

Ya Cant Find Relics Sittin On The Couch!!!
That's great Robert and a great video what and event thanks. (n/t)
June 27, 2012 10:43AM
Awesome job and great video. Glad you found it.thumbs down (n/t)
June 26, 2012 07:24PM
Just a great video.Thanks for sharing such a memory!!! (n/t)
June 26, 2012 03:10PM
Well done, Robert.
June 25, 2012 08:20PM
This is what it's all about, Robert. Well done!

Proud of my ancestors...Private Benjamin S. Younker, 6th PA Infantry (Co. A) April 1861-July 1861...re-enlisted August 15, 1861 as Corporal Benjamin S. Younker, 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry (Co. A) August 1861- December 1864...promoted to Sergeant on August 21, 1861...re-enlisted at Bull Run, Va. on January 1, 1864...wounded, transferred to 1st Battalion, Veteran's Reserve Corps December 1864 through 1865... Private Israel Kresge, 118th PA Infantry (Co. E)...Private Reuben Schnell, 199th PA Infantry (Co. b)...Private Christian Meyer, 106th Ohio Infantry (4th German Regiment) (Co. b)
What an awesome experiance for you and everyone attending
June 25, 2012 05:02PM
I am glad you found the tape and were able to get transferred to digital to be saved forever and share it with us. Thanks

"Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for." Robert E. Lee
Thank you both , sometime we relic humters...
June 25, 2012 09:30PM
Tend to forget that the "relics" are secondery to the HISTORY we all save. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love finding relics, but in the end, it is what the artifacts we find tell us about those, who were here before, were, as fellow Countrymen.

That, my friends, is what we do.
\

Relics from a bygone era..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 08:58PM by BluePalmetto.
Exactly right.....!
June 26, 2012 07:37PM
Robert, I couldn't agree with you more....we are the caretakers for their legacy, and preserving that legacy for future generations....Thank you for your recovery, and for the stellar way you handled it. My hat's off to you, man.

Proud of my ancestors...Private Benjamin S. Younker, 6th PA Infantry (Co. A) April 1861-July 1861...re-enlisted August 15, 1861 as Corporal Benjamin S. Younker, 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry (Co. A) August 1861- December 1864...promoted to Sergeant on August 21, 1861...re-enlisted at Bull Run, Va. on January 1, 1864...wounded, transferred to 1st Battalion, Veteran's Reserve Corps December 1864 through 1865... Private Israel Kresge, 118th PA Infantry (Co. E)...Private Reuben Schnell, 199th PA Infantry (Co. b)...Private Christian Meyer, 106th Ohio Infantry (4th German Regiment) (Co. b)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013