Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsWhite's Electronics
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMinelab
Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
DetectorProPredator ToolsAmerican Digger
JDug Metal Detector RentalsCS Sales & ServicesCivil War RelicsFort Bedford Metal Detectors

Coiltek Platypus

GPX Coil Questions
August 20, 2013 09:24AM
First - Great finds everyone ... there sure are some good relics out there to be found.

Question - If you have used one, what is your opinion on the Coiltek 12 x 8 DD coil for the GPX?

I hunted in the rain Sunday with the standard 11 inch Minelab coil. I had the box wrapped up real good and after 1-1/2 hours the machine when wild.
I took the coil cover off but that didn't help so I am assuming water worked its way down inside the coil.
The exact same thing happened to another GPX hunting with me.
We are going to seal the coils after they dry out but just in case I am getting a backup coil.

Thanks, Bob

Molṑn lab --- Great Grandfather Hiram Hill Painter - Co. K - 22nd Virginia Infantry -
The "Fayetteville Rifles" - "when that [money] runs out, we will eat roots and drink water and fight on for our liberty unto death!"
Re: GPX Coil Questions
August 20, 2013 08:56PM
Bob

I have hunted in the rain many times using the Commander 11"DD without a moisture problem, including some downpours. I have several coils, most are monos, which I prefer for my type of detecting. If you are interested in a spare, I have a brand new never used 11" DD that I picked up from a nugget hunter for $100. That way if your primary gets wet you can switch to a spare. Let me know and HH.

Barry
Bob.........
August 20, 2013 04:23PM
some here will probably disagree with me, but where the coil wire enters the coil is NOT where the water intrusion problem is. I've heard this stated here before but its not accurate. If you take off the nut where the wire enters the coil, you will see that it the standard type connection you see in virtually all coils. It ssealed with silicone, and the the nut is screwed down in the connection sealing it. Its actually a pretty water tight connection. Where the REAL problem lies is where the lower rod bolt passes thru the coil. If you take the bolt off and look at the coil, you will see that its hollow inside, and open right down to the windings. I take a tiny dab of silicone grease, and lube the washers up, and then GENTLY tighten the bolt till its " just" tight enough to keep the coil from flopping. IF you overtighten it, it will deform the ears and leak even worse. If you feel you MUST seal the cable where it enters the coil, simply screw the nut off the coil, apply a dab of silicone, and screw it back on. Once you take it off you will see what I mean about an adequate seal there. Hope this helps. Streak!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
This message does not contain any text.
Coiltek Platypus
August 20, 2013 10:27AM
I've used one almost every time I get to DIV. It's small enough you can stick it in your backpack. I have the DD version, it's got good depth, water proof and only weights 26 oz.
And, if I might add, Scott,
August 20, 2013 05:25PM
I.M.O. it the best coil for finding buttons with the GPX. I really sings out on brass a little stronger than all others I have used. A great coil to have in the arsenal!
Thanks Earl never knew that........
August 20, 2013 07:01PM
I also have the Platypus DD and will have to start giving it a little more attention. Have been saving it for rainy days but after your thoughts seriously considering making it the go-to coil. Much appreciated.
Thanks Scott! (n/t)
August 20, 2013 02:13PM
This message does not contain any text.

Molṑn lab --- Great Grandfather Hiram Hill Painter - Co. K - 22nd Virginia Infantry -
The "Fayetteville Rifles" - "when that [money] runs out, we will eat roots and drink water and fight on for our liberty unto death!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013