Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOGarrett Metal Detectors
MinelabWhite's Electronics
KellyCo Metal Detectors
American DiggerEast Texas Treasure OutfittersDetectorPro
Old Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesFort Bedford Metal DetectorsCivil War RelicsCS Sales & Services

Maybe DR True's brother

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

John C found this today near tomorrow's hunt site.......WOW!
March 29, 2007 05:04PM

Now that is what I call a fantastic Relic. Simply Awesome!!!!!! (n/t)
April 02, 2007 03:49PM
This message does not contain any text.
Re: John C found this today near tomorrow's hunt site.......WOW!
April 02, 2007 01:09PM
Thank you to everyone for your kind comments. The relic is very special to me since my dad located the camp in 1972. Good luck digging, John C.
What an awesome find!!!!!!!! (n/t)
April 02, 2007 12:55PM
Wow, what a warmup. NIce find John C.! (n/t)
April 02, 2007 11:04AM
Sweet find!!! (n/t)
April 02, 2007 11:01AM
Super fantastic find!!!! (n/t)
April 01, 2007 08:42PM
What a find! Congrats!!! dance (n/t)
April 01, 2007 08:37PM
Anonymous User
A Killer I.D. Tag
April 01, 2007 07:04PM
I hope to found an engraved Silver I.D. one day. I can't think bette person to find such great I.D. tag then John C. plus he's loved digging Maine relics. Congrads on super find. Chuck acton
WOW! That is an amazing find WTG!!! (n/t)
March 31, 2007 12:36PM
OMIGOSH... What a PURRFECTLY BEAUTIFUL ID/CORPS BADGE!! (n/t)
March 31, 2007 12:17AM

Columbia, SC
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/tarheelpatriot
WOW! That is impressive!
March 30, 2007 08:24PM
I stared at the picture for at least a minute. It is the BEST!!!
Maybe DR True's brother
March 30, 2007 07:04PM
DR. TRUES ELIXIR/ESTABLISHED 1851/DR J.F. TRUE & CO. INC/AUBURN, ME
Clear 5 1/2"X1 7/8"x 7/8"
ABM Clear is a bottle we dig up here, if I remember John collects Maine buttons, he must be out of his head, great find guys
That Auburn-based “Dr. True’s Elixir” bottle mark is indeed related to George Frank True. His older brother, Dr. John Fogg True, lived in Auburn, Androscoggin, ME. The censuses list him as a physician rather than a chemist, but he obviously was the latter as well --- there is no other candidate in the area whatsoever for the “J.F. True” mark. More, Dr. J.F. True’s sons, Edward and James, were listed as working with a medicine company in Auburn into the first quarter of the 20th century.

There’s a hilarious slogan on an advertising ruler for it at http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/&pm=0&searchkeywords=Medicine&sin=8650
“Cures all children’s complaints.” Perhaps in an alternate universe.

Best,
Nancy, wondering how in the dickens she keyed “George F. True's's “ in an earlier post
If john wants some
April 01, 2007 05:41PM
of those bottles, I have a few of them, dig them up here in the dumps, I'll email and if he wants them
Good Lord....
March 30, 2007 03:42PM
that is pretty. I love silver ID badges. I have been lucky to have found one a few years ago. Nothing will ever top it. Congrats on a great find. And from a historian, nice detective work Nancy....
thumbs downCongratulations On a Magnifacent Find WOW . happy (n/t)
March 30, 2007 03:36PM
I'm stuck answering phones while everyone else who's *supposed* to be working here is out at the DIV ---craven slackers! --- so I took a few minutes to do a little research on the George F. True piece. This is what I culled from censuses and various Maine and military resources:

George was born in 1832 to Abraham and Sarah (Fogg) True. He had several siblings, some much older --- more on that in a minute.

In 1850 the family was running an inn in Levant, Penobscot, ME, but by 1860, shortly before George's enlistment, he was a farmer living with the Francis Hill family in Exeter, Penobscot. In 1870, he was in Bangor, Penobscot, working as a farmer and living with his widowed, aging, relatively well-to-do father Abraham. George's 1887 disability pension is on file.

The 1880 census has him still single, working as a laborer, and living with a George Harmon family in Androscoggin, ME, where he also shows up in the 1890 veteran census.

By 1900 he was living --- never having married --- with his older brother, Dr. John Fogg True, in Androscoggin and working as a clerk. I found George's and a number of his family members' gravestones at the Maplewood Cemetery in Penobscot. George's stone shows that he was born August 10, 1832, and died June 22, 1904.

Kind of dry stuff, huh? But wait, there's more. *grin*

First, George's older sister Elizabeth married John L. Hodson. Anyone familiar with Maine history may recognize the name. George F. True's brother-in-law was the wartime adjutant general of Maine.

But wait. There's more.

John L. Hodsdon's daughter Elizabeth married Charles Addison Boutelle. So George F. True's nephew-in-law was wartime acting master of the United States Navy.

Surrounded as he was by such pedigrees, I wonder what caused George to fall short of what may have been considered to have been his potential. Who knows.

But wait. (Who guessed I was going to say that?) There's more.

There's a photograph of George, I believe in veteran's regalia, at the Androscoggin Historical Society. They have ordering information on their website.

John, if you send me your e-mail address, I'll pass along all the notes I gathered.

Best to all,
Nancy
I forgot to add in my previous post that I found his name --- "True, George F., Exeter" --- with Company H in "Maine at Gettysurg."
I just found that another of George's sisters married a farmer and congressman named Francis W. Hill. As it turns out, that's who George was living with in the 1860 census.

Their daughter Mabel True Hill married Gen. Harris Merrill Plaisted, who was later governor of Maine.

Here's an image of George F. True's's niece with her husband, the general.

http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=13787
Dumfounded. (n/t)
March 30, 2007 07:53AM
Man - that's absolutely tremendous (n/t)
March 30, 2007 01:55AM
Beautiful, that's all that can be said!!!!!! (n/t)
March 29, 2007 09:29PM

Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened
And talk about near perfect shape congratulations again

James A. Farley
Geo F True
March 29, 2007 06:21PM
according to http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

Geo F True of H Co 5th Regt Me Vols enlisted as a private and was later discharged as a private - guess that means he survived the war!

UNION MAINE VOLUNTEERS

5th Regiment, Maine Infantry

Organized at Portland and mustered in June 24, 1861. Left State for Washington, D. C., June 26. Attached to Howard's Brigade, Heintzelman's Division, McDowell's Army of Northeastern Virginia, to August, 1861. Heintzelman's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1862. Slocum's Brigade, Franklin's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Army Corps, Army Potomac and Dept. of the Rappahannock, to May, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to June, 1864.

SERVICE.-Camp at Meridian Hill till July 16, 1861. Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Duty in the Defences of Washington till March, 1862. Expedition to Pohick Church, Va., October 3, 1861. Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862. McDowell's advance on Fredericksburg, Va., April 4-12. Ordered to the Peninsula April 22. Siege of Yorktown (on Transports) April 24-May 4. West Point May 7-8. Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1. Gaines' Mill June 27. Golding's Farm June 28. Savage Station June 29. Charles City Cross Roads and Glendale June 30. Malvern Hill July 1. At Harrison Landing till August 15. Retreat from the Peninsula and movement to Centreville August 15-27. In works at Centreville August 27-31. Assist in checking Pope's rout at Bull Run and cover retreat to Fairfax C. H., September 1. Maryland Campaign September-October. Crampton's Pass, South Mountain, September 14. Battle of Antietam September 16-17. At Hagerstown, Md., September 26 to October 29. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 29-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Operations at Franklin's Crossing April 29-May 2. Maryes Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3. Salem Heights May 3-4. Banks' Ford May 4. Operations about Deep Run Ravine June 6-13. Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2-4. Near Funkstown, Md., July 10-13. Hagerstown July 13. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock Station November 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James River May 3 to June 15. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Laurel Hill May 8; Spottsylvania May 842; Spottsylvania C. H. May 12-21. "Bloody Angle," assault on the Salient, May 12. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Before Petersburg June 19-22. Ordered to the rear for muster out. Mustered out July 27, 1864, expiration of term. Veterans and Recruits transferred to 6th Maine Infantry.

Regiment lost during service 8 Officers and 99 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 76 Enlisted men by disease. Total 184.
You guys are going to have fun tomorrow it looks like. rock
March 29, 2007 06:21PM
Nice Find John why to start.
Wow! That's tremendous research!
March 30, 2007 02:00AM
With all the brutal, bloody engagements he was involved in, it's a wonder he - or anyone else in the regiment - actually survived. I'd love to know what the story was behind him losing that badge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014