Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
KellyCo Metal DetectorsGarrett Metal Detectors
MinelabMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
White's Electronics
DetectorProAmerican DiggerPredator ToolsEast Texas Treasure Outfitters
Civil War RelicsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesFort Bedford Metal DetectorsJDug Metal Detector Rentals

The Legand Lives On, Mr. Bill Gavin / "The Relic Hunter"

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

Just learned that Bill Gavin passed away
February 09, 2010 05:27PM
The Legand Lives On, Mr. Bill Gavin / "The Relic Hunter"
February 10, 2010 10:27AM
He was the founding father to all us relic hunters across the country, He will be missed greatly. Our prayers are with his family and friends......

Mark
Re: Just learned that Bill Gavin passed away
February 09, 2010 07:59PM
Very sorry to hear of Mr. Gavin's passing. He was one of if not the first to use a WWII mine detector to search for Civil War artifacts. I was fortunate enough to have worked for Mr. Gavin at his establishment, the Cliffside Motor Inn near Harpers Ferry 30 years ago while I was attending college. He shared many relic hunting stories with me and once invited me to see his collection at his house in Charles Town, WVA. It was a true museum and took up one whole floor of his home. I recall seeing a display he had consisting of a dug iron kettle that was filled full of US belt and box plates. A sign on the display said it was all from one day of digging at Cold Harbor Battlefield in the 1950s.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014