Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
White's ElectronicsMinelab
Garrett Metal DetectorsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
KellyCo Metal Detectors
KellyCo Metal DetectorsEast Texas Treasure OutfittersAmerican Digger
JDug Metal Detector RentalsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesFort Bedford Metal DetectorsJLowe’s Guns

Just my opinion ,But I wouldn't wrap it up till it starts raining ,As with any detector thats not water proof and water resistant isn't water proof,and condensation gets in the electronics ,Well 5 grand would be a heck of a lesson to learn..crying (n/t)

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

waterproofing the GPX pics for Bill D.
March 04, 2012 03:13PM
its REAL easy to water proof the GPX. I just did mine here, took pics and posted them in less than 10 minutes.
All you need is a bit of tape and a big Ziplock bag available at Wallyworld, Target, and most grocery stores.

As you can see here if you have the nylon cover for the GPX it helps tuck everything up nicely, and still feels exactly the same as it did before.
if you look at the battery waterproofing, there is no need for tape, if you again, put the zipper down and in the rear of the batt pouch, and run the headphone cable up thru the hole in the bottom of the pouch where the batt cable comes in. Just zip the small bag up against the two cords and let gravity do its job.

a closer pic of the rear. note the zipper is in the rear and at the bottom.

I taped and positioned the coil wire so it forms a bit of a drip loop, in case I didnt get it taped tight enough. Run the pushbutton wire thru the same hole as the coil wore and tape it appropriately.

note that the battery cable is taped kinda like the front. Make sure you form a drip loop. Again, push the headphone cable up thru the hole where the battery wire comes in, and zip the small bag up with the zipper down and to the rear. dont have the headphone wire in this pic but its in the first one.

took only minutes to do, and will make your GPX 100% weather proof! the zippers make it easy to get back in if you need to as well, and you can actually see the controls so you can still adjust things as you need to. .

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 04:38PM by Streak!.

wish I could see the pictures also, says image error (n/t)
March 20, 2014 04:36PM
This message does not contain any text.
No pictures- wish I could see them
March 20, 2014 03:23PM
Unfortunately the pictures are not showing up in the original post for me.

Dan

Dano in GA
There could be some bad weather next week, and Streak did an excellent job of explaining his methods. (As did a few others!) good job

Mytreasurespot sponsor
Authorized dealer for Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics, XP, Tesoro, Garrett, Coiltek, Sunray and DetectorPro
Contact me directly for the best deal!
www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com
814-215-1732
Sales@fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com

Mytreasurespot sponsor
Authorized dealer for Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics, XP, Tesoro, Garrett, Coiltek, Sunray and DetectorPro
Contact me directly for the best deal!
www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com
814-215-1732
Sales@fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com
For the handle with the ground balancing button…...
March 20, 2014 12:15PM
use a condom like Dave Cooper does (LoL)! You may think this is a joke or laugh but it works!
As crazy as that sounds, that's a great idea Randy!!! (n/t)
March 21, 2014 01:57PM
I would think it does
March 07, 2012 11:57AM
And just putting some plastic wrap over it secured with a rubber band should do the trick. Might not be a bad idea to cover the entire handle to keep all that slimy red dirt off it as well.
My handle is a wrapped. When the sensi-wrap gets dirty I pull it off and put more on.

Good post and very informative Steak; thanks. (n/t)
March 05, 2012 07:04PM
Besides, even if it not raining, it MAY have been raining, and it will protect the machine from soggy wet ground if you have to set it down. If you could see any of Linda's machines after she has detected in the mud you'd understand! bang head
Anyway, as you can see from our posts below, having that zipper will let yall air it out if necessary.
I wish Ron Falk had a zipper on the back of his britches. Now THATS a place that needs airing out often! gritting teeth
See ya soon!!! Streak!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
You gun guys should know what they are. Reid
good tip Reed! Hadnt thought of that. thumbs down (n/t)
March 06, 2012 02:49PM

Sweet job but what about.....
March 05, 2012 11:56AM
That appears to be a bang up job. I would like to see a detailed picture of how you did the connection around the wire before you put the tape on. I have a question?

Since this looks like a rig for a rain forest are you not worried about the humidity captured inside the bag prior to sealing? With a change in air temperature what about condensation?

I was thinking of something that I could use in a pinch should a storm pop-up while hunting. Heres what I came up with and it's not finalized quite yet. I'm still thinking it over. The bags are easily carried in your pack or pocket.

This is 2 plastic Kroger bags over the entire housing and battery. This is just a quick demo. To completely seal the front. Put both bags over the front by disconnecting the coil, make a hole in the bags, reconnect the coil then tie the bag and tape the hole.

This is strictly an in the field solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 12:16PM by ScottTX.

I'm honestly not worried about condensation though. If I were using it and it started to rain, and then I bagged it up......THEN I'd worry about trapped moisture in the bag, as the machine would already be dampish when I wrapped it. Truth is, packaged like it is, there aint a heck of a lot of air in it to condense to begin with. I'd prefer to prepackage it in a dry setting.....as opposed to scrambling in the field to protect it after the fact. If its dry out and its an issue....I can just unzip the bag. Thats the beauty of using ziplocks!

Yea, I see that now.
March 05, 2012 04:12PM
I actually though that was tape I see now that it's a zipper.

I have another question? I can't tell but it looks like you loosened the cuff bracket and the bag is under it. Correct?

Also, exactly what brand is the bag? Saves me time when I go to the store.

Thanks, Streak. It's a great design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 04:14PM by ScottTX.
the ones I have now are "Hefty", 2.5 gallon zipper bags.
March 05, 2012 05:14PM
Cant remember exactly where I got em, but I "think' it was wally world.
the ones I got before to waterproof the TDI's were ziplock I think. May have been two gallon though. Again, got a case of CRS. We used them to do the TDI's in almost exactly the same manner. Take the rod off the box, put the box in the bag, and then reassemble it putting the screws thru the bag into the control box.
Yep, I just put the GPX in the bag kinda in the middle, and then gently placed the armrest clamp down over the boss on the top of the control box, taking care there was enough bag material there so it wouldnt tear it as I tightened the wing nuts. Then I made an opening in the bag in the front towards the bottom to put the coil wire thru and the pushbutton cable thru. there is enough room in the bag to reach around the control box to hook em up. Then I taped the bag to the wires, trying to make a little drip loop. Did pretty much the same in the rear, but it had to be kinda on the side of the bag so the zipper would still work. The battery bag is just a quart size ziplock with the zipper to the rear and down. run the power cord up thru to hole on the bottom of the pouch, plug it in, slip the bag over everything, and zip it down, stuff it in its pouch, and your in business. Using the gold screamer battery pack makes it easy, and the machine cover holds it all together. Feels exactly like is does before it was waterproofed.

Thanks!!! clap (n/t)
March 05, 2012 06:46PM
Hey Scott
March 05, 2012 02:53PM
With Streak's solution you could just leave the bag unzipped in the back for easy access to the settings and it would prevent any condensation issues. Then if it started raining you could just zip it down temporarily. Now if it was an all-day rain you could possibly end up with a condensation problem. I like your fix too as its simple and it can easily be installed if you need it.
Thank you Streak!
March 04, 2012 06:51PM
That was extremely helpful especially since I also use the GoldScreamer Power Pack. It looks like you put the bag over the control box, then slid it back onto the shaft. Were there any issues with tearing the bag when you were doing that? I also appreciate your advice on protecting the coil. What kind of tape do you wrap around the periphery of the coil. Thanks again for taking the time to take and post the pics ...... Bill
I just use regular electrical Tape Bill
March 04, 2012 07:20PM
seems to stick real well, and if it does get ratty, its easy to replace.
as far as the bag goes......I dont "slide" the handle on, but rather gently place it straight down over the flange, making sure there is plenty of bag material there as I tighten the wing nuts so it doesnt stress the bag. In any event, those bags seem plenty tough, and I dont think they will rip easily. Mine was waterproofed exactly like this at the last DIV, and I inspected the bag when I took it off to see if the clamp damaged it in any way......and it didnt. Just dont tighten the crap out of it. glad I could be of help.......

I use a twist tie so as to not tear the bag and can be reused (n/t)
March 05, 2012 05:26PM

James A. Farley
where the wire goes into the coil ISNT a problem area Reid....
March 04, 2012 05:33PM
thats actually sealed very well. I've screwed the stress reliever off all my coils and looked at it, and its as good a seal as you will get on any coil. The way water gets in is thru the coil bolt holes. If you take the coil bolt off the coil and look at the coil, its hollow inside. I put a tiny dab of sealer, (pure silicone lube like you'd use on spark plug wires, NOT RTV sealer), on the rubber washers, and then backed up that tiny bolt head, and put a tiny dab of the same stuff under the wing nut and bolt head. Of course it's pretty much standard on them (GPX's) to tape the circumference of the coil to keep water and dirt out too.
I DO give the coil a little TLC, but that coil wire connector isnt where its applied!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 05:34PM by Streak!.
you would wouldnt you?
March 05, 2012 03:44PM
seems to me it would be cheap and easy to make the ear area solid as opposed to hollow like it is. like you said.......for that kind of $$ it really ought to be a waterproof coil. Heck, most other MUCH cheaper and lesser machines have waterproof coils................
minelab and coiltek.....are you listening? shrug

I walked about two miles to change what i thought was a water
March 21, 2014 11:44PM
Infested GPX coil at Beauregard One time. Noises turned out to be a pesky electric fence! But we use baggies and tape to waterprevent too. Keeping her tucked under your poncho while swinging helps a lot. I hope my problem is sun shielding this go-round.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014