Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsMinelab
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
White's Electronics
East Texas Treasure OutfittersDetectorProAmerican Digger
Fort Bedford Metal DetectorsJLowe’s GunsOld Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesJDug Metal Detector Rentals

Awesome restoration as always! Great Save! (n/t)

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

DIV XIX Relic Restored
March 12, 2012 07:13PM
On the last afternoon of DIV XIX I dug a folded piece of brass. Really didn't stand out to me at the time but stuck it in my poke. Glad I did. When I got home and started cleaning my finds I noticed a part of a letter. Carefully as I could I unfolded the relic and was looking at a VMM skin folded from each end toward the middle.

With the efforts of Rofro, this crumpled relic was restored and arrived back home today to be displayed in my DIV case. Words cannot express my gratitude for Roland to take on this project and, or the amount of talent this gentleman has in his hands. His work is simply amazing and I'm still in disbelief in how well it turned out. Thank you so much Roland for all your help toward this effort. I consider this find the crown jewel of my DIV recoveries.

Attached are before and after photos. I asked Roland if he could apply camp lead recovered from the same field toward the backing of the plate, which I thought would be a nice historical connection, and I appreciate Roland agreeing to my request. I strongly encourage folks to check out his web site to see many examples of his work at Hallowed Ground Restorations. His pictures provide much better examples of this plate before and after than mine do.

I also want to thank John and Rose Kendrick for allowing me to participate in DIV. Without their generosity to allow diggers the opportunity to recovery relics in places we could only imagine this would not have been possible. I never expected to recover a VMM plate and due to DIV a dream has come true. Thank you both for all you do for us. Please know it is appreciated.

Sorry so long but I right now I am stoked!

This message does not contain any text.
Re: DIV XIX Relic Restored
March 15, 2012 09:07AM
Holy moley ! Awesome job.... again. cch.
Re: the man is a true artist in his field (n/t)
March 14, 2012 10:56PM
He is awsome, he fixed a relic for me earlier this year too. (n/t)
March 13, 2012 02:45PM
Awesome job! congrats on the plate she is a dandy! (n/t)
March 13, 2012 02:03PM
We need the legislatures from all around to understand how we as detectorists come to find an amazing AND essential piece of history that would have stayed in the ground for many many many generations to come. To all those archeologists out there........this is exactly what we mean when it comes to preserving historical finds of this magnitude. That is a dream find and to have it restored by Roland is just simply amazing and outstanding. Hats off to you both for the amazing find and restoration of a once and a lifetime find. I only hope to find something that beautiful for my DIV case.

WTG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 10:40AM by scoopydoo.
Looks better then when it was new! clap (n/t)
March 13, 2012 09:41AM
Great job on the restoration and congrats! (n/t)
March 13, 2012 07:46AM
Good investment and a proud digger for sure! good job
Don and several others have been patiently waiting for repairs. The mild winter got the best of my restoring time (too much digging) and I apologize for the delays. My absence from the forums lately isa function of attempting to catch up.

Thanks all for your kind words. The most difficult aspect of restoration may be how and when to decide to stop. It is a purely subjective decision almost akin to painting on canvas. Some would say less is best. I try and let the relic and the client do most of the talking and hope for the best but in the end, as with many artistic endeavours, it'sin the eye of the beholder. Don's SNY and other plates that might seem to be "easy" work are often the most difficult, presenting color match challenges that complete overhauls do not. I like to think I don't send anything out without it satisfying my own standards. Most times folks are pleased and that's really what makes it worth the while. BTW, the hooks were taken off a US plate I had in my "junk" box. Usually don't do that kind of thing but the plate was pretty much demanding them! Hey, when the past talks, you have to listensmiling smiley
Roland is a true artist. Amazing is an understatement. (n/t)
March 12, 2012 09:29PM
Roland is the man! (n/t)
March 12, 2012 09:02PM
Awesome restoration as always! Great Save! (n/t)
March 12, 2012 08:49PM

James A. Farley
I was looking at this last Tuesday
March 12, 2012 08:26PM
at the NVRHA meeting. Roland was just showing it the guys but I think he was very proud of the outcome and it shows. Give Roland some room and time to work and the results always speak for themselves. Great find.

I'll take a good pair of eyeballs over a pinpointer any day.
Mark in Warrenton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 08:28PM by Eyeballer.
Very nice. He does some amazing work. (n/t)
March 12, 2012 08:23PM

Doug - Lawrenceville, GA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 266 on October 22, 2014