Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
KellyCo Metal DetectorsGarrett Metal Detectors
Metal Detector Sales of SWMOMinelab
White's Electronics
Predator ToolsDetectorProAmerican Digger
Fort Bedford Metal DetectorsCS Sales & ServicesCivil War RelicsJDug Metal Detector Rentals

Thanks for doing that!!

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

My video from DIV XX and XXI (including bottle and plate digs)
March 28, 2012 10:15AM
I finally got my videos uploaded and edited from DIV XX and XXI.

Thanks again SO much to John, Rose, and the committee. I had a blast and saved some relics, including a bunch of personal firsts. I also finally understand why the pit diggers go through all that trouble. I recovered my first bottle (in the video), and I can't wait to go back looking for more! There's also a plate recovery at the end, and I'm glad I took the time to savor the feeling before I pulled it out and got it on camera to share with you. This was a truly incredible experience, which I will remember for the rest of my life.

I also wanted to thank Josh for helping me dig out the pit, and Barry for taking the time away from his own pit to give us advice on ours. It was nice seeing a lot of you again and making even more new friends. Congrats to everyone on their awesome finds!!

Nice dig's Tony,Congrat's on all your first!! (n/t)
April 08, 2012 09:52AM
This message does not contain any text.
Re: My video from DIV XX and XXI (including bottle and plate digs)
April 07, 2012 11:07PM
Video fanned the relic hunter flames again. Thanks.
Great video - awesome looking plate and bottle!
March 29, 2012 09:02AM
Looks like you had a very successful hunt!
March 29, 2012 04:21AM
Great video there Tony; your enthusiasm and exuberance at liberating that bottle is infectious!

I noticed in your closing credits that we both serve the same Lord and Savior. Boy-howdy, how cool is that!dance

"The principles for which we contend are bound to reassert themselves, though it may be in another time and in another form." --Jeff Davis
really nice finds and thanks for the video (n/t)
March 28, 2012 08:25PM
Great video Tony, It was a pleasure videoing you dig the plate at DIV XXI (n/t)
March 28, 2012 08:14PM
Thanks for doing that!!
March 28, 2012 10:28PM
It's really nice to have that on camera to save for the future. It's a great experience that I can now share with other hunters and my non relic hunting friends. I showed it to me wife, but she just called me a huge dork LOL
Nice job Tony!
March 28, 2012 05:27PM
It was an honor helping you out with some coaching, glad i could pass on some pointers to aid in excavating. Hey, we all gotta learn sooner or later right? Lol. Trust me, i used to get so frustrated trying to find glass myself i was about to explode! I just kept watching people dig them and asked a couple questions myself. When i saw the color in your pit I was really hoping for your sake there would be glass in there waiting for you. Kept checking in on you and nope no glass...then before i knew it you were grinning ear to ear holding that bottle! Job well done not breaking that thing, slow and steady served you well. Now, just wait til we go to Spillman again...you are gonna be itching for another...that place still has lots of glass. rock
Congrats Tony
Barry
Re: Nice job Tony!
March 28, 2012 06:24PM
Thanks!!

I noticed that the pits at Spillman seemed to be really hit or miss. A couple had double digit bottles and brass, but I saw so many people dig out nothin-pits. You just gotta get lucky I guess, and I got lucky. Yea, I can't wait to try and get into another one!! Maybe you can show me the good spot haha
U got that right...
March 28, 2012 06:34PM
About pits being hit or miss. That applies to just about anywhere you end up digging huts/pits. One guy will dig one out to find nothing but iron and broken glass...a guy 20 feet away may get 15 bottles and a plate etc lol. Just the way it works, which is why you just have to be willing to swing for the fences and dig out every pit u stumble into. Sooner or later you will hit a good one! So far you 1 for 1...not bad odds at all wink

Dan and I were talking about Spillman after day 3, agreeing there will be MANY more pits dug out in the area we got into ours on day 2. U should have seen the pit Dan stumbled into on day 3 after lunch, that thing was incredible in amounts of color, oyster shells and iron...but it was a total dud.
Barry
not a total dud....
March 28, 2012 08:05PM
Just when I called you over it was he he. Seriously though I like the canteen, but that one had me, still has me dissapointed. When I saw the color in that dirt, I immediately said "well Sh*t, day three, raining, gotta dig it out, let me call Barry"

Dan
yea my fault...
March 28, 2012 09:05PM
Thought about that after posting and figured u would correct me on it lol. When u said one canteen was in there i was hopeful there would be multiples. So yeah...not a total dud for finds but as far as glass goes yup.
Re: yea my fault...
March 28, 2012 09:46PM
I might would be interested in opening it up on a none rainy day. I still think there might have been more to it - there has to be.
March 28, 2012 03:54PM
Some really nice relics you pulled out of the ground there Tony. Awesome!!
Nice video! clap (n/t)
March 28, 2012 02:36PM
Nice video and congratulations on the bottle! (n/t)
March 28, 2012 11:48AM
Congratulations on all the great finds Tony!! (n/t)
March 28, 2012 10:49AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013