Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
Garrett Metal DetectorsKellyCo Metal Detectors
White's ElectronicsMinelab
Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
DetectorProKellyCo Metal DetectorsPredator ToolsAmerican Digger
JLowe’s GunsCivil War RelicsFort Bedford Metal DetectorsCS Sales & Services

turned out great, how bout sharing the steps of this process? (n/t)

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

Eagle button preserved a BIG thanks to Creskol..good job
April 18, 2012 08:35PM
I dug this Eagle button that came out in a clump of that "Wet Dut" that I thought would look good in my display case. I sent Rob an e-mail to see what would be the best way to preserve it. Rob answered me back with what to use and how to preserve it. Thanks again Rob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 08:39PM by JOE inMD.

Now that is neat!!! Good job Rob!!! (n/t)
April 28, 2012 10:47AM
This message does not contain any text.
Very Cool (n/t)
April 27, 2012 04:31PM

~~ "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain ~~
I will have to try this stuff out on the next one i dig, in the past i have been using just a clear coat of poly multiple times and that seems to be working...It was nice seeing you again!

take care,

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 09:42AM by PGMC.
Re: Eagle button preserved a BIG thanks to Creskol..good job
April 21, 2012 09:29PM
That turned out nice joe
I sent him photographs and spoke with him at length over the phone about Joe's project, addressing everything from the amount of humus present in the soil, the amount and types of roots and grasses present in the soil, what type of soil it is, details about the button, how Joe had been keeping it since it was dug, etc. etc.. There were lots of possibilities,
but there was only one product called Klucel G that he felt would actually work to preserve the entire clump. His concern is that while one treatment method would address one aspect, it might not address other critical factors .. take for example the roots drying out, or the grasses decaying .. or the dirt drying out .. any of which may cause the clump to crumble, plus you had to be respectful of the button and its patina. While Klucel G is designed for leather preservation, he ran a few tests and gave me the thumbs up on it for Joe's project, mixing a bit stronger than one would for leather. The alcohol displaces the water, while the Klucel-G penetrates and fills the voids.

At any rate, you can see the product at this website: http://www.preservation-solutions.com/product.php?category_id=1001&product_id=1016

Joe can fill you in on his experiences.

~~ "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain ~~
The preserving process, I'm sure Creskol wouldn't mine me sharing....
April 20, 2012 07:07AM
Rob gave me the info where to buy the "Klucel G". (Preservation Solutions (Golden Colorado). Then just follow the directions in the package just add double the amount of Klucel G to the denatured Alcohol that is called for. Rob said make it the consistencies to Aluminum Gel. Let the solution set for 2 days (stirring occasionally), Then set the item in the solution(as pictured) for 2 more days. After that take some thumb tacks in a piece of cardboard and set the item on it(pictured) to dry for a few days and your done!! Again I have to thank Rob.
JOE in MD
turned out great, how bout sharing the steps of this process? (n/t)
April 20, 2012 12:20AM
good jobTurned out great Joe! I like it!
April 19, 2012 05:13AM
Hey Joe, Just bought a condo (providing all goes well with seller) 5 minutes walking distance to the beach! Your welcome any time! I am closing on it June 18th!

Going for the gold, happy with the lead! JimmyD~

HMMM!!!! I'm seeing a road trip this summer with Bill!!!!dance (n/t)
April 19, 2012 06:21AM
You are welcome, Joe .. Glad it turned out okay! .. Looks Great! thumbs down (n/t)
April 18, 2012 09:00PM

"Klucel G"
shrug- (n/t)
April 19, 2012 11:17PM
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 11:27PM by Trocar.
Try Google (n/t)
April 20, 2012 06:35AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 404 on November 29, 2014