Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
MinelabGarrett Metal Detectors
White's ElectronicsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
KellyCo Metal Detectors
Predator ToolsKellyCo Metal DetectorsDetectorPro
Old Rebellion War Relics & MiniaturesJDug Metal Detector RentalsCivil War RelicsFort Bedford Metal Detectors

I'm very interested in what you come up with John. (n/t)

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

Golden Sense metal detectors....
April 23, 2012 06:01PM
Kellyco is marketing a new metal detector called "Golden Sense" with a very impressive video showing a coin being discriminated at over 30 " !! Does anyone know about this detector ? I would love to hear from someone that has used one to see if it really does what it says, especially in hot ground.

Tks,
Joe
I believe it is actually 30 centimeters which is about 11 inches.
April 24, 2012 09:58AM
The bronze coin test was actually 19 inches and the gold bangle was about 28 inches. Now that impressive. The ruler they use in the videos is definetely a cm tape measure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 11:31AM by coinwhisperer.
To be exact (as one can) 11.881" (n/t)
April 24, 2012 10:14AM
This message does not contain any text.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 08:26PM by Mike(NC).
Soooooo..... Is there anyone out there that has used a Golden Sense metal detector ?
I don't know if anyone has used one....
April 23, 2012 08:58PM
Has anyone here used a Blisstool which seemed to get popular support from an unknown foreign company. There are some pretty good videos on the Kelyco web page on this machine. And the price is more than reasonable if it produces those kind of results. Could be worth checking out and / or asking questions about its use in red dirt.
Gonna run a little.....
April 24, 2012 07:11AM
test/comparison in some wed dut tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Re: Gonna run a little.....
April 24, 2012 11:25PM
Great news on the test...... I hope that it's done in some mineralized soil.... The Kellyco field test was done in Florida soil where it's very low mineralization as per the tester (Juan )
Re: I would love to see the same tests done with the Golden Sense detector.rock
April 28, 2012 10:41AM
Yes, me too ! I can't even find anyone that owns one yet cuz it's so new...... Would love to prove or dis-prove those awesome videos...... If the videos are real, Blisstool and even Mine Lab may be in for some stiff competition.... IF
Re: I would love to see the same tests done with the Golden Sense detector
April 28, 2012 08:34PM
Hi Joe.
As someone pointed out earlier in ALL of the video they did for this machine the depth was shown in cm (centermeters) NOT inches.
It doesn't look that impressive at all - especially in the mild dirt and dry sand conditions they filmed in.
JMHO, I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about this product being a competitor...
Re: I would love to see the same tests done with the Golden Sense detector
April 28, 2012 09:18PM
Hi,
Actually, if you look closely, the measuring tape was inches with a mm scale on it as well. To back that up, go to the KellyCo site and look at their field test report. A quarter discriminated at 31 inches is reported. I also talked directly to the person at Kellyco who conducted the tests. He confirmed the 31 inches and also told me that in his opinion, the Golden Sense goes every bit as deep as the Mine Lab 5000 .... But he also expained that his tests were only done in soil that has low mineralization in Florida.
I e-mailed the engineering group at Nokta and they report the machine was tested in Australia where some of the hottest ground in the world is found.. With great results..
OK, so glowing field test reports but I still want to hear from someone that has actually used the machine in good ol red dirt before I jump on the Golden Sense wagon....
Hopefully that will happen sometime soon.....

James A. Farley
Re: That will be interesting a no bull test , I'll sure be waiting for the results
April 25, 2012 06:54AM
Yeah, I'm gonna see how it stacks up against the Blue and Gray and the popular PI machines. As far as I'm concerned the B&G is about the best VLF bad ground machine with some discrimination there is. Of course there will be those that disagree with that statement.guns blazingcool smiley

The distributor asked if I would help with a test at a DIV site. It might bite him in the tail since I have no interest in the venture and plan to tell it like I see it.... or it could go the other way as well. We'll see today.
How'd it all shake down?
April 26, 2012 07:53AM
Well let's hear it! I'm anxious to hear about how it went.....good and bad. I still think PI machines are going to rule the roost there and it's not fair comparing a VLF to a PI machine in that regard...but if one can indeed hang right there with them, than they for sure have something. Mine should be here next week but I still want to know how the test went up there.
I was kinda wanting to wait......
April 26, 2012 06:28PM
until the distributors of the Blisstool posted their video of the testing. But..... My main reason for even doing the deal was to see how it stacked up against the old reliable Blue & Gray. Again, in my opinion the B&G, even though it's over 18 years old, is the best doggone bad ground VLF machine out there. We had the Blisstool, B&G, F75, GPX 5000 and a TDI. As anyone who has ever tried to conduct a test under real relic hunting conditions will tell you, sometimes relics can be hard to find lol. The only way I really wanted to plant anything was if we didn't locate any real targets. Happy to say we hit a spot on our second try that contained some relics. Grass is getting tall and crops are going in so that cramped our testing locations.

The Blisstool and the B&G were just about neck and neck at first as far as target location and discrimination. To be fair for the F75, none of us really had any experience with it and I'm sure if we had an experienced operator it would have held it's own. Now, there was a target located with the TDI that the Blisstool hit pretty hard on and I couldn't hear it at all with the B&Gfrown It turned out to be a round ball at 12". I think maybe if I had fiddled around with my settings a little more I probably could have hit it but not under normal hunting conditions. The 5000 located a couple .69 minnies that both VLF's hit on pretty good. They were right at 10" in the wed dut. I will say that the Blisstool sounded off real loud on these. It has a weird control on it called "discrimination depth" and once that was adjusted properly it really hit hard on those deep bullets. It has your normal notch type discriminator control but also that extra "discrimination depth" control as well.

We also tried a yard at a Civil War era house. I had the 8" coil on my B&G and it was totally overwhelmed with all the iron so I put it back in the truck pretty quick. The Blisstool did a pretty good job of picking through the junk for non-ferris targets and would probably be a good tool in junky sites.

I'm by no means a professional detector evaluator so all I can do is tell it like I saw it. All things considered, I was impressed with the Blisstool. It did seem to hit harder on bullets in highly mineralized soil than did my B&G. It picked up that roundball when I would have walked on by. Did we push it's limits?....I don't think we came close. Will it replace the PI in hot ground? Don't think so. I guess we should have buried some targets to get down to the PI limits wherever that is, but we didn't have time.
Would I replace my B&G with it? Don't think so. Would I recommend it. Yes, it will be a great top of the line VLF machine that is as good (maybe a little better) as my old beloved B&G with which I have found many thousands of relics in WED DUT. The previous video depicting the Blisstool in WED DUT was very accurate and from what I saw not staged at all. It will also most likely be crazy deep in good ground!

I look forward to your evaluation Daniel. You are much better at it than I am. I'll probably have more comments after I see the video. It was fun to get out with old friends and new for some detecting.
A real world test
April 28, 2012 10:22AM
is always better than a test using planted targets. The F75 did not do a bad job even though we, meaning me, had never used one in the red dirt. If I remember correctly, there was only one target that the Blisstool hit that the F75 did not hear at all. That target was clear and solid with the Blisstool but no response with the F75.

My Treasure Spot Sponsor
2011 Minelab Excellence in Customer Care Award
www.northgeorgiarelics.com
northgeorgiarelics@gmail.com
706-264-6011 or
866-364-3137 (Toll Free)

~~ "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." Mark Twain ~~
I wouldn't go so far as to say that!
April 29, 2012 12:38PM
The PI machines are still king of the hill IMO. One of the things I dislike about the PI machines is that you have to move so doggone slow. I am not used to that and it absolutely tears my poor, long suffering back up! With a VLF you can move quite a bit faster....at least I do anyway. I think that and the Blisstool's depth and discrimination would be the selling points for me. We didn't push the PI machines to the limit of their depth so I really can't say the Blisstool would hit a target that the PI would be marginal on. Like I said in my earlier post, the Blisstool kicked the B&G's butt on the roundball down 12 or more inches but all machines hit the other targets that day.
That "discrimination depth" control John....
April 29, 2012 01:10PM
When the Blisstool kicked butt on that deep round ball; was the "discrimination depth" knob set to enhance a found weak signal? Or was the machine being used with that control already set that way? While swinging the coil across the fields, is the Blisstool a quiet machine or is it popping and squeaking until it hits a good target...and then just sounds off better? I hope you know what I'm trying to ask.
Re: That "discrimination depth" control John....
April 30, 2012 04:41PM
I think Carter fiddled with the controls a little with that signal Mike. I didn't operate the Blisstool so I can't comment on how it sounds.
Re: That "discrimination depth" control John....
April 30, 2012 06:42PM
I was tweaking the discrimination depth most of the day. In order to hear those deep signals, I had to keep it at 7.5. My concern was that doing this would allow me to pick up iron but since the gain was set so low, 7.5 on the Discr Depth was more than enough. The only deep iron I detected was a strap buckle.
Thanks to Both of you...But...
April 30, 2012 09:35PM
Is the Blisstool a 'silent search' type machine or is it noisy as you sweep the fields? Thanks....Mike
Re: Thanks to Both of you...But...
May 01, 2012 03:54PM
The Blisstool is quite in terms of there being a threshold but it does not null out iron like an E-Trac would. What you hear is "crackling" when going over iron. So as your swinging along, you will hear noise in iron areas but the POP of a signal stands out clearly.
That's what I was looking for...Thanks! (n/t)
May 01, 2012 04:48PM
Blisstool how well does it operate around PI machines?????clap
April 28, 2012 07:45AM
One thing that would be a great benefit to all the folks that attend the DIV hunts would be if the Bliss had no problem around all the PI machines. That would be a great bit of up side to many folks. I have already found a use for that detector the red dirt is just a bonus.
Re: Blisstool how well does it operate around PI machines?????clap
April 28, 2012 10:15AM
The Blisstool does not like to be around the PI machines. I think the F75 had more problems with the PIs than the Blisstool but Carter could answer that better than I can. The only way I knew we were having problems with the Blisstool and GPX was I had to move away so he could check my targets.

My Treasure Spot Sponsor
706-264-6011 or
866-364-3137 (Toll Free)
Re: Blisstool how well does it operate around PI machines?????clap
April 28, 2012 12:08PM
The Blisstool has a frequency adjust knob that I did not use. It was just easier to take two steps back and hold the machine away when you guys came close to check out a signal. The GPX made me chatter from about 20 feet away and the TDI by about 10 feet away.
funny thing about frequency controls..........
April 28, 2012 03:13PM
Even if you have enough adjustment to remove the audible (emphasis on "audible" ) interference, being in close proximity to other machines will STILL affect depth to a very high degree. We did a lot of testing a few years back on this exact subject, and it pretty much applies to every machine on the planet. We are talking 60 -70 feet away...with NO audible interference. Food for thought. Streak!
A good test will always involve using other machines fairly close to gauge their effect.......................

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
Hmmm.....never considered that
April 28, 2012 06:15PM
inaudible interference may be monkeying with my machine. But now that you have brought that to my attention, I will have to be more aware. It makes sense that a confused circuit would not behave as intended.. Thanks Streak!
Re: I was kinda wanting to wait......
April 27, 2012 02:18PM
Thank you for spending time with us so we could test the Blisstool in the harshest land conditions we could find; there is nothing like that red dirt in VA. We already know that the machine acts like a PI with iron discrimination in the easy dirt but the real test was how this single frequency induction balance machine would work in the red dirt. We did our video test a couple of weeks ago by burring targets in the red dirt but it was much more informative working together side by side with you, Don and Will. By locating actual (not buried) targets first with the TDI and GPX 5000 , we then were able to tune in the Blisstool to clearly hear a round ball and 69 mini down to 12”. By the way the signal sounded on the Blisstool, we most likely would have been able to pick them up deeper. The discrimination depth is a unique feature to the Blisstool and it made all the difference tweaking it while testing the signals found with the TDI and GPX. We also checked out some “good signals” on the TDI and GPX that knocked out on the Blisstool; they ended up being ration can pieces. Two larger size flat can pieces were picked up by the Blisstool but in general it knocked out the iron signals that sounded good on the PI machines. I look forward to future testing and locating DEEP targets with the PI machines so we can see the limits of how far the Blisstool can actually penetrate that VA dirt. I’ll work on the video and get it posted over the weekend. Thanks again for your time and evaluation. Regarding your Whites Blue & Grey, once you had that machine ground balanced, it was impressive!!
April 28, 2012 10:52AM
Thanks for inviting me to participate. Culpeper is about half way for us to meet and I really wanted to see the machine operate so I could tell customers about my experience with it. Getting home at 2:30 am and going to work the next day was tough on the old man, but I would do it again. As a dealer, it is hard to be unbiased. The Blisstool is not perfect for everyone. There was one tent grommet that the TDI and GPX hit as good that the Blisstool read as iron. Overall, the machine is impressive and I am looking forward to getting my demo in the red clay of Georgia.

My Treasure Spot Sponsor
706-264-6011 or
866-364-3137 (Toll Free)
Sounding good to me
April 27, 2012 07:05PM
The days seem like they go by slower as I wait on the arrival of the next shipment. Of course it's not like its going to do me any good once it gets here....my sites are all grown over and fields need cut for hay. My biggest fear is not giving it a fair enough chance and having something set wrong on it. With all the switches and knobs on it, it looks a bit intimidating. I've been in helicopters that seemed to have fewer knobs and switches smiling smiley

It does sound promising though. If it was being able to get decent depth like that and also having the ability to knock out ration can pieces and such....that is a plus. 12 inches on a roundball is nothing to snurl the nose about. That's ball park cut off depth for what I found the TDI to be with stock coil on bullets. It was far better on buttons and small brass. In the first video, the Bliss had to be cut down into lower sensitivity regions....I'm guessing the same held true on the actual hunt. Which could really be good for ground not as severe where you could jack it up a little more. And there's still the option of a 15 inch coil too.

Never used the Blue/Grey Pro though. I've played with one before and thought about getting a used one along the way. They still sell for about $400 even as old as they are.
Daniel I have one. If you want we can work out a deal. (n/t)
April 28, 2012 05:28AM
April 27, 2012 02:46PM
I hope you'll include some of the iron in your video production. I'd love to hear how the Blisstool and TDI respond to iron of varying sizes at varying depths.
April 27, 2012 01:32PM
Which model of the Blisstool were you using?
April 27, 2012 02:22PM
Blisstool LTC64X V3

Description of Robert E. Lee
He looked as though he ought to have been, and was, the monarch of the world
Thanks for your input.
April 26, 2012 09:52PM
You may not be a detector evaluator but I value your opinion and as you said 'you don't have a dog in this fight'. Well done and thank you for the excellent post.
Thanks for the feedback John! (n/t)
April 26, 2012 07:35PM
The X5 for instance will hit lead very deep in hot soil, and let you know its a bullet.
virtually any of those machines will hit deep lead in in all metal, or if a low enough disc is dialed in.
Take the GPX's for instance. Its iron reject saves digging a lot of trash iron, but it only works to a certain depth. It will STILL sound off very well on the target.....but you lose the ability to tell if its a nail or not.
a GPX with a iron reject that works to its depth ability would be a keeper!
Anyway, did you guys dig any iron, and if so..............how good was the Blisstool at discriminating it out?
the reason I ask this is your statement that , and I quote:
It has a weird control on it called "discrimination depth" and once that was adjusted properly it really hit hard on those deep bullets.
Was the response better when it was turned UP or DOWN? If it got better turning it down, then it probably was just removing disc, improving the audio response. Dont know anything about the machine, but that seems logical.
Iron ID or rejection is paramount, while also maintaining good target response. If it doesnt truly discriminate at extreme depth, I see no real advantage over any other machine.
glad the test went well.............

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
Anyway, did you guys dig any iron, and if so..............how good was the Blisstool at discriminating it out?

We knocked out almost all of the iron only digging a couple of signals that sounded possible and fooled us. I was hearing a lot of "clicking" over iron in trashy areas.

the reason I ask this is your statement that , and I quote:
It has a weird control on it called "discrimination depth" and once that was adjusted properly it really hit hard on those deep bullets.
Was the response better when it was turned UP or DOWN? If it got better turning it down, then it probably was just removing disc, improving the audio response. Dont know anything about the machine, but that seems logical.

I thought the same thing when I first heard of this control called "Discr Depth". In fact, it has nothing to do with how deep you are detecting or the level of discrimination. In speaking with the engineers at Blisstool, they explained - If you are detecting in an area where the gain can be used at high levels (like weak mineralized ground or dry sand at the beach), you should also use your Discr Depth at a high level (between 8-10) if you don't want to pick up any deep iron. If you are at an area where the gain can only be used at low levels like the red dirt in VA, you don't need to crank the Discr Depth to the extreme 8-10 position. Keeping the Discr Depth lower than 8 while the gain is low will give you a much better response on non ferrous targets and still knock out deep iron. We found keeping the Discr Depth at 7.5 was a good setting (while our gain was set out 2 out of 10) and allowed us to hear a 12" deep round ball as clearly as the PI machines. This will be shown in the video that will be posted later.

Iron ID or rejection is paramount, while also maintaining good target response. If it doesnt truly discriminate at extreme depth, I see no real advantage over any other machine.
glad the test went well.............

The Discr Depth will allow you to decide how deep you want to knock out the iron. Lets say you're in an area where there are nails within a few inches of the surface but you still want to hear a deep iron shell; setting the Discr Depth at 4-5 will allow you to hear deep iron while knocking out the surface iron. Cranking the Discr Depth back up to 7.5, with the gain set low, will cause deep iron to knock out.

Took me a while to get used to this feature but I really like it now.....
I'll tell you this.....
April 27, 2012 06:32AM
On the first .69 at 10", if they put it in the video, you'll hear me say that I'm kinda on the fence about the signal but would surely dig it. The Blisstool was also giving somewhat of a broken signal in disc. On the second one some changes were made to the "discrimination depth" control and the 10" bullet came back perfectly with the Blisstool. My B&G was disc was set at 5 and I didn't move it since I dig most every signal that even tries to come back anyway. The video will probably make it a lot clearer.
thank you sir................. thumbs down (n/t)
April 27, 2012 04:16PM

Yes, the Blue & Gray is a great machine, the V3i also once you get used to it; but neither can come close to the results shown in the Golden Sense video.... But so many questions..
Hot ground OK, dept as shown in the video real, etc. etc. need as field test to compare to be really sure it's not a bunch of BS.....
Right on John! good job
April 25, 2012 09:34AM
John K.
I have no interest in the venture and plan to tell it like I see it.

Exactly what is required for a valid test.
A few of us are interested in the outcome, Keep us posted John. (n/t)
April 24, 2012 05:57PM

Description of Robert E. Lee
He looked as though he ought to have been, and was, the monarch of the world
I'm very interested in what you come up with John. (n/t)
April 24, 2012 08:57AM
Sounds interesting John...
April 24, 2012 08:20AM
Is Kellyco's machine one of the detectors being tested? I know, I know...."Stay Tuned" lol
I got a big Orange bridge for sale toolol (n/t)
April 23, 2012 06:06PM

James A. Farley
Re: I got a big Orange bridge for sale toolol
April 23, 2012 07:21PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I first saw the video..... But now I see that KellyCo has published a field test report with similar results!
Would love to hear from someone out there that has used one .......
Re: I got a big Orange bridge for sale toolol
April 23, 2012 07:43PM
Kellyco has been around forever. So have I. Take a look at the new Blisstool @ Blisstoolusa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 54
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013