Welcome! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of Service Extras
KellyCo Metal DetectorsMinelab
White's ElectronicsMetal Detector Sales of SWMO
Garrett Metal Detectors
American DiggerEast Texas Treasure OutfittersPredator ToolsDetectorPro
Fort Bedford Metal DetectorsJDug Metal Detector RentalsJLowes GunsCS Sales & Services

My BLISSTOOL review for div XXII

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Civil War Trivia Game

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

My BLISSTOOL review for div XXII
November 24, 2012 10:00AM
Hello everyone. I would like to share my experience with the blisstool V3 at div XXII. first I would like to thank John & Rose for another super hunt.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a blisstool. Day one for me was just a learning day. learning to ground balance and burying targets at different depths to see what it could do.
making many adjustments to get the best depth and signal clarity. The most important thing to do is to have it perfectly ground balanced, so signals will come in clearly. I noticed when the ground changes, especially on the hilltops where it was much hotter ground. the machine would sound like radiation, making crackling sizzling sounds, so it was time to re-ground balance. this machine is a single tone, beep & dig machine. learning to ground balance was a bit tricky at first. I felt more comfortable with it on day 2 as I continued to fine tune it. I noticed that the coil is very sensitive if bumped it would false a bit. So the best coil position was 1/2" to 1" off the ground and nice level smooth swing. depending on trash density you could swing it fast, but when trashy or nail infested areas you must work slower. The good signals always came in very clearly & crisp. bad signals always had a crackling noise. I dug a few nails not trusting it, trying to make a bad signal sound good. Even the deepest signals sound good 12+ inches, but are much shorter&quiter but still good.It will find very deep iron 2+ feet, because it is past discimination depth. I had to give up several super deep targets, It can find huts also,barrel bands,horseshoes etc. I picked up several bullets on top of the ground, it would double beep clearly on the surface targets. On day three I was rolling digging many bullets, some brass, A 1785 conn copper, a first for me. Also A block I coat button that broke.

I was able to run the gain @ 4 for maximun depth in the red hot dirt & it was running smooth. but at this gain level I would pick up surface hot rocks,but not a problem.
I talked to Carter pennington & he said I could ground balance the hot rocks out,WOW ground balance the hot rocks, what other vlf can do that? I dug 50+ bullets

here are my final V3 settings. GAIN: 3-4
in culpeper GROUND BALANCE: 6-8
DISC LEV 4-5
DISC DEPT 6-7
DISC TOGGLE SW. 3 or III
THRES 3
SILENCER 1-3
So I really like this machine!!! Im going to sell my tdi & get another blisstool for my sweetheart Loretta, or Ladydigger. Ive signed her up for div 23& I hope she gets picked because she can dig some relics&coins & she is so darn lucky!!! also very fun to dig with & does not give up.

So over all I dug with ringfinder,fieldtracker,tony in oh, oh eric,& thomas & son. thanks you guys for all the fun.
I was comparing signals with the gpx4500, 2- gp3000's , 2- infiniums. they also tested me in the field, the bliss was right everytime. on one instance the gp3000 said good signal deep,the bliss crackled severly stating iron. I was right. bent nail.

Pm me for any questions. thankyou. hunterjoe.

Re: My BLISSTOOL review for div XXII
February 22, 2013 09:01AM
Hunterjoe, Was wondering what GPS you were using to map your hunt? I've tried using my droid phone but it sucks so much battery I can't touch it for anything else while its running. Thanks
2 new Blisstools are available!!
February 21, 2013 08:59AM
We have 2 brand new Blisstool standard (with 11" coil) available if anyone is interested - PM me...thanks.

hunterjoe
Hello everyone. I would like to share my experience with the blisstool V3 at div XXII. first I would like to thank John & Rose for another super hunt.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a blisstool. Day one for me was just a learning day. learning to ground balance and burying targets at different depths to see what it could do.
making many adjustments to get the best depth and signal clarity. The most important thing to do is to have it perfectly ground balanced, so signals will come in clearly. I noticed when the ground changes, especially on the hilltops where it was much hotter ground. the machine would sound like radiation, making crackling sizzling sounds, so it was time to re-ground balance. this machine is a single tone, beep & dig machine. learning to ground balance was a bit tricky at first. I felt more comfortable with it on day 2 as I continued to fine tune it. I noticed that the coil is very sensitive if bumped it would false a bit. So the best coil position was 1/2" to 1" off the ground and nice level smooth swing. depending on trash density you could swing it fast, but when trashy or nail infested areas you must work slower. The good signals always came in very clearly & crisp. bad signals always had a crackling noise. I dug a few nails not trusting it, trying to make a bad signal sound good. Even the deepest signals sound good 12+ inches, but are much shorter&quiter but still good.It will find very deep iron 2+ feet, because it is past discimination depth. I had to give up several super deep targets, It can find huts also,barrel bands,horseshoes etc. I picked up several bullets on top of the ground, it would double beep clearly on the surface targets. On day three I was rolling digging many bullets, some brass, A 1785 conn copper, a first for me. Also A block I coat button that broke.

I was able to run the gain @ 4 for maximun depth in the red hot dirt & it was running smooth. but at this gain level I would pick up surface hot rocks,but not a problem.
I talked to Carter pennington & he said I could ground balance the hot rocks out,WOW ground balance the hot rocks, what other vlf can do that? I dug 50+ bullets

here are my final V3 settings. GAIN: 3-4
in culpeper GROUND BALANCE: 6-8
DISC LEV 4-5
DISC DEPT 6-7
DISC TOGGLE SW. 3 or III
THRES 3
SILENCER 1-3
So I really like this machine!!! Im going to sell my tdi & get another blisstool for my sweetheart Loretta, or Ladydigger. Ive signed her up for div 23& I hope she gets picked because she can dig some relics&coins & she is so darn lucky!!! also very fun to dig with & does not give up.

So over all I dug with ringfinder,fieldtracker,tony in oh, oh eric,& thomas & son. thanks you guys for all the fun.
I was comparing signals with the gpx4500, 2- gp3000's , 2- infiniums. they also tested me in the field, the bliss was right everytime. on one instance the gp3000 said good signal deep,the bliss crackled severly stating iron. I was right. bent nail.

Pm me for any questions. thankyou. hunterjoe.

Depth Matters!!
www.blisstoolusa.com
January 11, 2013 08:10AM
Hi, I'm new to any type of forum. I live on Long Island and own a Blisstool. I have been reading alot of info on the settings of the machine and I have to admit that I was at first unsure of the proper use. Your review was excellent. Barryny also posted settings to use and I found that to be very easy to understand. If I can use it and find great things then anyone can use it. As a matter of fact I was out at a site with Barry and found a 2 real coin along with a few other deep finds. Hope to get to use it down south someday. Take care. Bill
Great thread. Very informative. (n/t)
January 10, 2013 09:03PM
This message does not contain any text.
Blisstool vs Velox One questions
December 05, 2012 04:55PM
I'm up in the air between the two. Seems the V1 is a little less expensive. Barry care to comment on the differences in the two? Who came out with what first? Is the circuit board covered in resin? Thanks.,...
I no longer attend DIV Hunts but I work near Orange, Virginia. I'm traveling at the moment but when I return I will do some testing. Save your cash for now. This detector runs at 18khz and was made to find gold nuggets in difficult ground. Jury is out at the moment for me.
Re: Blisstool vs Velox One questions
December 05, 2012 05:09PM
I'm sorry - but I do not know anything about the Velox One to make any comparisons.
I do not believe that the Blisstool board is covered in resin.
Barry - interested in your comments on Blisstool support
February 18, 2013 05:30PM
Barry,

Appreciate your comments on the Blisstool. I'm potentially interested in the machine. I've seen quite a few comments on performance and settings and a few on dealers.

I have a concern about Customer Support. If the machine malfunctions, breaks or needs repair, where are authorized repair centers, what is their rough turn around time and how much experience do they have fixing the machines? Where is the factory located? What is typical turnaround time to send to factory for repair and get machine back? What is the warranty period on the box? on the coils?

Thank you for your help,

rovnrbl
Blisstool Service and Support
February 19, 2013 09:58AM
Hi rovnrbl,

The authorized Service Center is in Florida. Their turn time is pretty quick from diagnosis to repair...within a week or sooner.
They have enough experience from the few machines they have already serviced plus the 25 repair videos sent from the manufacturer to be highly experienced with the machine.
The warranty is 3 years on control box and coil and is transferable.

rovnrbl
Barry,

Appreciate your comments on the Blisstool. I'm potentially interested in the machine. I've seen quite a few comments on performance and settings and a few on dealers.

I have a concern about Customer Support. If the machine malfunctions, breaks or needs repair, where are authorized repair centers, what is their rough turn around time and how much experience do they have fixing the machines? Where is the factory located? What is typical turnaround time to send to factory for repair and get machine back? What is the warranty period on the box? on the coils?

Thank you for your help,

rovnrbl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 09:58AM by BarryNY.
December 05, 2012 03:00PM
The blisstool info says "built in LiPo battery", does this mean when the battery goes bad you can't replace it? Just wondering, I was interested until I saw that
I'm interested in adding the blisstool to my arsenal .
December 26, 2012 06:45PM
I watched all the videos on its strong points but I'd love to see it in action in person to figure out its weaknesses compared to my CTX & GPX 5000. It apparently compares to the GPX on hot soil but I'm interested in how it compares on good soil with my current machines.
Re: I'm interested in adding the blisstool to my arsenal .
February 13, 2013 10:41PM
JDug
I watched all the videos on its strong points but I'd love to see it in action in person to figure out its weaknesses compared to my CTX & GPX 5000. It apparently compares to the GPX on hot soil but I'm interested in how it compares on good soil with my current machines.

Here's my post from the deep south, Louisiana and Mississippi, in good soil on my very first hunt with it. I have used the TDI and the GPX 4500 in DIVs.

"The First time in the test garden it found all the brass buttons and the one Indian war repro belt plate I had planted several years ago. The buttons were buried at 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 inches. The plate about 27" (so deep I couldn't be exactly sure). It discriminated out a good bit of iron spread throughout the garden, with discriminate level at 5 with no trouble, though I had the discriminate depth set too high for the low gain (about 1.5), so it supposedly could miss small, good targets at depth. If so, I can't say how deep this will actually go for a good target like a button or minnie or plate. If Angelico will dig a 36" hole for me, I'll bury another item to find out (his choice of which). I'm too olde to dig that deep just to fill it back up.

So I went to a battlefield (on private property with owner's permission of course) and found six minnies (one a .69), one modern .22 and one small caliber fired round ball, one tiny flatened ball (game piece?) and a surprise or two. One minnie had been made into a pencil, complete with halfmoon base cut for tip of index finger, and a worn 1903 V nickel (confederate, obviously). All small ones were found within 3 inches and all minnies at 6 to 8 inches. They are where they are found! I found a very nice horse shoe (looked handmade) with practically no rust, except for the remnants of nails still in it at 15", but it must have fallen out of my pouch before I left the woods. It must have had a brass or bronze content because it wasn't rusted and shaped very carefully. I also found a peanut butter aluminum wrapper at 25".

Discrimination works great for nails and smaller objects. Cannon balls, horseshoes and all aluminum will all give good signals at any depth, as will larger nails and shell frags. My testing isn't complete, and I don't know where to test in northern VA for DIV, however. The machine is far from complicated like a DFX, for example. But it has to ground balance to perfection and then be run in "auto" for best results for a novice Blisstoolist. I consider this a great result for a first-time out in a thoroughly hunted area which I only hunted about 7 hours, with lots of movement time.
In good ground (low mineralization). It is absolutely a Very deep detector with good relic-hunting discrimination in good soil; I'll report back after DIV as to highly conductive soil (according to the factory expert at minelab-not highly mineralized). I believe I'll be able to detect the ferous objects like larger nails with more experience. One thing I learned: if a target crackles or clicks JUST ONCE, no need to try to repeat it till it sounds good; it's iron, regardless of more swinging of the coil. Another thing: a great target just an inch or two beneath the soil will double beep like other VLFs sound when they cross a straight nail in a certain direction. Raise the coil and see how high it will signal the target and swing it as fast as you can over the target. If it sounds good in every direction (like going over a hub of a wagon wheel and moving in ever direction like spokes on a wagon wheel) and if's good all around, it's good to dig.
I'm a novice, and I approve of this message, which is my own opinion only. All comments are welcomed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 10:58PM by Flyntgr.
December 26, 2012 08:33PM
Hi - where are you located?
Maybe one of our Dealers is close by and can demo it with you...
December 28, 2012 08:26AM
BarryNY
Is there any dealers near Frederick Md. ?
December 28, 2012 10:30AM
We have a Dealer in Ashland, VA - I believe that is the "closest" to you.

JDug
BarryNY
Is there any dealers near Frederick Md. ?
December 30, 2012 10:35AM
How do I get in touch with him?
December 30, 2012 10:55AM
PM sent

JDug
How do I get in touch with him?
about the detector than anyone!!! You should check out Relics and bottles, I think he posted another video of a Great CW relic he found on there .

The boy is amazing and he has a girl friend who is almost as good a hunter as Joe. She didn't get picked this time around, but hopefully the next
Diggin in Va. she will.

Denny
It would be a pleasure...
December 27, 2012 10:45AM
I'd be happy to have him - if he doesn't infringe on someone else's territory...Joe - where are you located?

ringfinder
Re: Heck Barry, you should have Joe ( hunterjoe ) as one of your dealers, he probably knows more about the detector than anyone!!! You should check out Relics and bottles, I think he posted another video of a Great CW relic he found on there .

The boy is amazing and he has a girl friend who is almost as good a hunter as Joe. She didn't get picked this time around, but hopefully the next
Diggin in Va. she will.

Denny
December 26, 2012 10:31PM
I'm in Frederick Md.
Blisstool Battery info
December 05, 2012 03:19PM
Hello Longbow,

Yes, the Blisstool has a built-in LiPo battery - however, it's rated for 800 charge cycles and you get about 30 hours from each charge.
That's 24,000 hours of operation before you would consider a battery change.
At 8 hours of detecting a day - that's 3,000 detecting days (or 8 years detecting EVERY day) before you should need a battery.

If you did need a battery - it's a simple inexpensive replacement done here in the USA - and you are good to go for 8 more years.

This really should not be a reason to avoid the machine.
Re: Blisstool Battery info
December 05, 2012 04:10PM
Thanks for the quick reply on the battery, other words the battery will probably last as long as the machine does. About how much are these machines going to run. Price wise
December 05, 2012 06:39PM
Thanks, I will have to take a deeper look into one
December 05, 2012 05:06PM
The Standard with 11" coil is $1095.
The Combo adding the 15" coil is $1394.

Blisstool USA website
December 05, 2012 02:43PM
Nice review. I'm thinking about one, but all those knobs are a bit intimidating to me. We'll see . . .

"I have some hopes that our ancient reputation may be revived."
~ Stonewall Jackson

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

http://oldvirginiablog.blogspot.com/
Blisstool adjustments
December 05, 2012 03:36PM
The knobs are there to allow customization for all detecting environments...
There are only 10 knobs and 3 switches. Once you get used to the machine it's fairly easy to GB and start detecting

Some of the knobs need NO adjustment other than the first time you set it up..
Tone and Freq are set and forget
Ground Rudely and Ground Finely are only used for Manual GB
Discrim Level and Discrim Depth give you very fine control of the discrimination function
Gain, Threshold and Silencer are adjusted for ground conditions and Volume is to turn it on

There is a switch for Manual or Auto GB
If Auto, there is a switch to toggle among 3 levels of GB
And there is another switch called the Discriminator - for surface discrimination levels

If you take a look at the Quick Start Guide I posted on this thread - you'll see it's not very complicated at all.
Re: Blisstool adjustments
December 05, 2012 05:54PM
BarryNY
The knobs are there to allow customization for all detecting environments...
There are only 10 knobs and 3 switches. Once you get used to the machine it's fairly easy to GB and start detecting

Some of the knobs need NO adjustment other than the first time you set it up..
Tone and Freq are set and forget
Ground Rudely and Ground Finely are only used for Manual GB
Discrim Level and Discrim Depth give you very fine control of the discrimination function
Gain, Threshold and Silencer are adjusted for ground conditions and Volume is to turn it on

There is a switch for Manual or Auto GB
If Auto, there is a switch to toggle among 3 levels of GB
And there is another switch called the Discriminator - for surface discrimination levels

If you take a look at the Quick Start Guide I posted on this thread - you'll see it's not very complicated at all.

Thanks!

"I have some hopes that our ancient reputation may be revived."
~ Stonewall Jackson

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

http://oldvirginiablog.blogspot.com/
December 02, 2012 07:50PM
Great review and thanks for sharing your settings. Of course I just got the hang of the TDI Pro, but the discrimination ability of the Blisstool really has me thinking hard.
I want one (n/t)
December 02, 2012 05:13PM
They will be here soon. A few weeks...
December 02, 2012 05:34PM
thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 05:38PM by BarryNY.
They have been coming in a few weeks since july..fighter (n/t)
December 02, 2012 07:00PM
Who told you they would be here in July?
December 02, 2012 07:46PM
Hi Dan.
The order we placed was late July - so whoever told you that is wrong, or was that comment just a little elbow dig (we understand - you can imagine how frustrated we are) - but production is not in our control.
We do know for sure they are starting to ship out this week. The UK importer just got his entire order and he was in front of us.
Have you already purchased one from one of the Dealers - because we don't have you on our list?
If not, then I suggest if you want one you should do that.
The entire allotment will be here by the end of December. That's over 100 units.
All but about a dozen are already accounted for.
The next shipment is scheduled for end of January.
You are in GOOD SHAPE then.
Definitely will be here soon.

We appreciate that you waited.
Where can I find more info on the Blisstool?
Thanks
More info on Blisstool - start here...
December 04, 2012 09:16AM
Blisstool Info

Quick Start Guide

badmudder
Where can I find more info on the Blisstool?
Thanks
Hey Barry, What about problems with the machine?
December 02, 2012 06:23PM
I was with Carter when a guy came up with one that he couldnt get to ground balance. Luckily Carter had one that he let him use. Mine had a problem that the speaker didnt work. We were both told to send it back to have them repaired. I also think that there is more wrong with the one that I have as it will not stay stable after ground balancing. It is very discouraging that after spending that much money that we also have to spend more money to get a detector that we should have gotten in the first place. I purchased this detector because of all the positive videos that show its advantage it offers but I am not able to see it yet.

"Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for." Robert E. Lee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 06:24PM by SharkHunter.
Re: Hey Barry, What about problems with the machine?
December 02, 2012 07:37PM
Sorry to hear about your machine.
They get repaired in the USA so that's a relief. You can send it to:

BLISSTOOL USA SERVICE CENTER
1085 Belle Avenue
Winter Springs, FL 32708
ATTN: Javier
(888) 535-5926

The issue with the other guy's machine appears to be a bad Threshold pot switch.
I'm not sure what is wrong with yours.
We have only had 1 machine that needed a pot repair. We keep in touch with the UK distributor and he has had only one problem with a headphone jack.

The manufacturer has made a few changes that are incorporated into this incoming batch that include a number of switch and jack upgrades - so hopefully it will alleviate any issues.

Remember to always have the machine turned off when you plug or unplug a headphone as well as when charging.
I added a My Track's map of the area I hunted (n/t)
November 26, 2012 09:34AM
Great review and nice finds! clap (n/t)
November 26, 2012 08:52AM
Nice thanks for the review (n/t)
November 25, 2012 07:51PM
November 25, 2012 12:21PM
Nice review Joe! It was great talking with you on the phone the other day and I must say I’m impressed with how well you did your first weekend using the Blisstool. Because the dirt was so harsh, like you said, periodic ground balancing was needed if the machine became noisy but other than that it seemed to work well for me too.

I only hunted DIV for part of the day on Friday and purposely went to an area in the afternoon that I worked well with my TDI Pro at DIV in late March 2011. The area had a lot of iron and I wanted to put the Blisstool to the test.

The Blisstool was “popping and clicking” constantly over the iron. The three pieces of iron I dug all sounded scratchy but I wanted to see what they were. The bullets were all between 8”- 12” deep and gave loud strong signals. The brass also sounded loud and clear with the small washers/grommets being 5” – 6” deep.

Carter

Great Review. Thanks for the Information. (n/t)
November 25, 2012 12:16PM
Congrats on the great finds, and thanks for posting the review! (n/t)
November 25, 2012 11:52AM
Sounds like a nice machine! (n/t)
November 25, 2012 12:55AM
hear, but the Bliss Tool came through every time. One time I thought I might have a good signal and Joe checked it out and it was a real small
nail, one that a GPX 4500 will almost always pick. Although I don't get to hunt with my GPX a lot like the Virginia guys do, I try to hunt as best I can in
the 3 days we have at a DIV. It usually takes me at least a day or two to get the hang of my GPX and what it is telling me. I wish some of the guys from
Virginia like Ear K. or Don would have come by and gave the Bliss Tool a work out. Those guys know how to work the GPX, I am just a beginner.

I can tell you, by the 3rd day, Joe and his Bliss Tool were smokin, every time I turned around he was calling out that he had found a bullet or button on our walkie talkies. He is a fun guy to hunt with.

Congrats Joe on another great hunt. By the way, the last time we hunted the Beauregard farm, Joe with his trusty TDI found over a 100 minie balls in 3 days, so if he is saying he is selling his TDI, that's saying something for the Bliss Tool.

HH all, Denny
Glad the Bliss past the test. You have to ground balance a lot even with PI detectors in Culpepper..
Good to see you again Denny (n/t)
November 25, 2012 10:25AM
for one hate to see the hunt end, it seems to go by so fast, but I always look forward to my return to Virginia. I still haven't convinced my wife to
move to Virginia. LOL But she also loves the beauty and history of the area, as I have visited many times with her, my brother and his wife.
November 24, 2012 07:09PM
Nice Finds!
Thanks for the review.
Good review! Nice finds! (n/t)
November 24, 2012 04:09PM
Nice saves , you got a picture of everything? (n/t)
November 24, 2012 03:16PM

James A. Farley
pics are there jim (n/t)
November 24, 2012 03:41PM

James A. Farley
Thanks for the great review
November 24, 2012 01:19PM
Sounds like it work's pretty good and much cheaper than the alt machine that all are so high on.. I shall have to save up and find a dealer
Glad the bliss worked out for you............ thumbs down
November 24, 2012 12:59PM
But for clarity, you can balance hot rocks out on ANY VLF machine. grinning smiley

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
November 24, 2012 11:10AM
I was having a bit of trouble with my infinium digging nais so Joe and I compared signals for an hour or so and the Blisstool was always correct.
At one point, Joe detected a bullet at about 6 inches and stuck his shovel in the ground within about 5 feet of it and told me to go find it with his detector.
Took only a moment before I was holding the bullet.
The detector seemed light and easy to swing. With so many settings it will probably take a while to learn the machine in a variety of soil conditions, but I plan on adding one to my arsenal.
Thanks Joe for letting me give your new toy a try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 65 on April 03, 2011
Record Number of Guests: 263 on December 26, 2013