Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

What kind of tree is it Tim? (n/t)

Civil War Tree?
May 07, 2007 01:21AM
I have found a few items near this tree. It looks like it has been here a long long time. The ice storm last winter has damaged it but she still looks pretty healty. I am no tree expert but is it possible it was around in the 1860's?

Thanks for the info guy's. (n/t)
May 09, 2007 11:48AM
This message does not contain any text.
will help you determine what type of tree it is. Once you know that you can find out a ton of info on growth rate. From your picture one thing is for certain...she sure has been growing there a LONG time!!LOL
Gather some leaves , and a twig specimen .... Libraries
May 07, 2007 11:39PM
usually have "keys" to identify all common US trees , and are normally
identified from their leaves .
Published information on the type should reveal ways to estimate it's age . but if not , take pics of it to your nearest University , or your nearest State or Federal Forestry office , and ask if their research has included any taking of borings, or core samples from similar trees in the area . Professional foresters and educators often maintain specialized mapping systems that have already marked that kind of information about that tree , or it's neighbors .
Their specialized maps can also show all the records of fires , logging activities dates , road development , and so forth .
Old sawmill workers will also know these answers .
Good luck with this project .... Looks like a great starting point !!
B&Ssmiling smileysmiling smiley
Re: Did you run your coil around the trunk of that old gal ? man its big.. (n/t)
May 07, 2007 06:45PM

George
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 06:46PM by George Pa.
I'm with Steve. Find out the type of tree and it can be aged!!! (n/t)
May 07, 2007 04:10PM
Looks like a gnarly old maple to me...
May 07, 2007 07:16PM
Saw lots of those while I was up in MI.

HH from Allen in OK
Re: Looks like a gnarly old maple to me...
October 16, 2014 06:46AM
Hey tsgman: where were these photos taken? Looking for a tree just like this for a film shoot we're putting together and would love any memory of the whereabouts of these trees and their surroundings!
Not sure but i will find out. (n/t)
May 07, 2007 11:16AM
What kind of tree is it Tim? (n/t)
May 07, 2007 08:24AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018