Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

Don't forget your County Agricultural Agent. They have an arboretum here in Chattanooga next to his office of native tree species. (n/t)

Civil War Tree?
May 07, 2007 01:21AM
I have found a few items near this tree. It looks like it has been here a long long time. The ice storm last winter has damaged it but she still looks pretty healty. I am no tree expert but is it possible it was around in the 1860's?

Thanks for the info guy's. (n/t)
May 09, 2007 11:48AM
This message does not contain any text.
will help you determine what type of tree it is. Once you know that you can find out a ton of info on growth rate. From your picture one thing is for certain...she sure has been growing there a LONG time!!LOL
Gather some leaves , and a twig specimen .... Libraries
May 07, 2007 11:39PM
usually have "keys" to identify all common US trees , and are normally
identified from their leaves .
Published information on the type should reveal ways to estimate it's age . but if not , take pics of it to your nearest University , or your nearest State or Federal Forestry office , and ask if their research has included any taking of borings, or core samples from similar trees in the area . Professional foresters and educators often maintain specialized mapping systems that have already marked that kind of information about that tree , or it's neighbors .
Their specialized maps can also show all the records of fires , logging activities dates , road development , and so forth .
Old sawmill workers will also know these answers .
Good luck with this project .... Looks like a great starting point !!
B&Ssmiling smileysmiling smiley
Re: Did you run your coil around the trunk of that old gal ? man its big.. (n/t)
May 07, 2007 06:45PM

George
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 06:46PM by George Pa.
I'm with Steve. Find out the type of tree and it can be aged!!! (n/t)
May 07, 2007 04:10PM
Looks like a gnarly old maple to me...
May 07, 2007 07:16PM
Saw lots of those while I was up in MI.

HH from Allen in OK
Re: Looks like a gnarly old maple to me...
October 16, 2014 06:46AM
Hey tsgman: where were these photos taken? Looking for a tree just like this for a film shoot we're putting together and would love any memory of the whereabouts of these trees and their surroundings!
Not sure but i will find out. (n/t)
May 07, 2007 11:16AM
What kind of tree is it Tim? (n/t)
May 07, 2007 08:24AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018