Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

A better way to mount a camera to a detector

A better way to mount a camera to a detector
April 08, 2014 12:55PM
I got a GoPro camera for videoing my digs.

There are hundreds of ways of mounting these neat cameras, but none of them are very practical for mounting to a detector.
My goal is not to film the coil swinging back and forth as that is very annoying to watch,
rather to use the detector as a type of tripod so I can position the camera in any position necessary to film the recovery of targets.

GoPro sells an adjustable system called the gator jaws, but it has a real big clamp and the whole thing is very bulky and not very easy to adjust.
Also the GoPro frame that holds the camera requires you to take the unit apart in order to insert or remove the camera.

To replace the gator jaws system, I designed and 3d printed a detector shaft clamp to hold a standard mini tripod head. So any camera (even a smart phone) can be mounted to a detector
To improve the GoPro Frame, I designed a frame that the camera can slide into and out of very easily, yet be held securely.

This frame adds a standard threaded tripod threaded mount like all real cameras should have so it can be mounted to numerous other camera accessories.

The whole thing weighs only 5.7 ounces compared to GoPro’s system which is twice as heavy.

All of these new designs are being printed on my Makerbot 3d printer.

In this video, I explain the evolution of the design. I apologize for my hairy arms getting in the way.
Design Improvement Video

This is a shorter time lapse video showing a clamp being printed.
3d printing camera mount Video

Here is one I just did to mount a camera to the odd shaped E-TRAC shaft
E-TRAC SHAFT CAMERA MOUNT

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 11:20PM by aluminummagnet.

Re: A better way to mount a camera to a detector
August 09, 2014 08:51PM
Great design
I enjoyed the video
Re: A better way to mount a camera to a detector
April 18, 2014 08:07AM
You have a good product there. I can see definite interest in the product for people who have the GoPro. Great job, 3D printers are amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 08:11AM by BKNEPPER1.
I like it. Can you make one that fits the Minelab GPX? (n/t)
April 09, 2014 03:26PM
This message does not contain any text.
Re: I like it. Can you make one that fits the Minelab GPX?
April 09, 2014 06:05PM
All I need are the shaft dimensions in the area you want to mount it.
I believe the GPX uses a round shaft. If you can measure it, I can make it.

Regards.
I left you a comment on your video page.
April 12, 2014 11:59PM
I'm definitely interested in this. But I would have to have a variety of clips to allow the use on various detectors.

If you'd like I can give you accurate measurements for 5 difference detects that I have.

I think you have hit on a very sellable item.
Re: I left you a comment on your video page.
June 03, 2014 01:09AM
I finally got around to making a camera mount for the CTX 3030.
Thanks for the dimensions. I test fitted it to a friends CTX and the clamp fits perfect.

Sweet! clap
June 05, 2014 12:02PM
I'll be coming to you for a setup for the fall DIV if I'm chosen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 359 on August 22, 2019