Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

Any Way To Tell Size of Iron Target With CTX 3030?

Any Way To Tell Size of Iron Target With CTX 3030?
January 08, 2019 11:33AM
Greetings fellow diggers! I have a CTX 3030 now for a few months and have pretty much figured out how this machine works besides being able to tell the difference between a small iron target (i.e. a nail) and a large iron target (i.e. a cannon ball). I even called the company Minelab and they were not much help.I figured I would reach out to the experts on this forum. Bottom line, is there anyway to discern the size of an iron target? Sizing doesn't do much in terms of the size of the target, as much as I can tell thus far. I don't know how many times I've swung the detector back and forth across the target to get the image to appear on the screen, only to dig it up and it was a small piece of iron junk. I mainly hunt for Civil War relics and am concerned that I may be missing valuable large iron targets by constantly ignoring the iron tones. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading my post.
sunnyWell, Dave ... you're starting with a very nice ...USA
January 10, 2019 08:33AM
detector which has a great many capacities. But, you have run into a problem that we all suffer ...
that of digging useless targets. At various times, I've felt as though I was digging a hundred junk targets,
for every single coin I found.
I don't think there's any way to really avoid this. I have to balance the two and try to keep reminding myself
that the good outweighs the bad.
Pieces and fragments may well be parts of larger, more important artifacts. One never knows.
Occasionally, small pieces are, in fact, the actual item we want to capture and preserve.
For big items, like cannonballs, the "pin-pointer" function may help to outline the target's circumference, sort of
"draw a picture" of the relic's position underground. An "overload" function should warn you that an item is
way too big,
Just when I think I've got my machine figured out, the numbers, moving targets, and audio tones will fool me
once again, and give me "can-slaw, pull tabs, or clumps of tin-foil," when I was expecting a big coin.
So, it's all experimental, and it goes on for years. The general "rule-of-thumb," is to dig it all.

BTW, a few years ago, researchers in various universities, did studies on nails taken from old, historic
buildings. They could date the nails based upon local records showing the "build-date" of a structure.
So, old nails came in many different styles, and can be dated ..... which helps to "date" your site.
It's a bit loose, but makes for a good, generalized starting point.

"Historic Louisiana Nails: Aids to Dating Old Buildings," Jay Edwards and Tom Wells, Geoscience Publications, 1993.

"Nail Chronology as an Aid to Dating Old Buildings," Lee H. Nelson, Technical Bulletin 48, National Park Service, 1962.

"Nail Chronology," Tom Wells, 2nd Edition, Society for Historical Archaeology, California University of Pennsylvania, 2000.

These may be a little tough to locate through your local library's "lending system," but somewhat easier if there's a college
or university close to you. Good luck with your adventures. clap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 08:23PM by Bob & Sue.
Re: Any Way To Tell Size of Iron Target With CTX 3030?
January 08, 2019 04:50PM
Use the Target Trace option, it will give you an idea of the size of the object. This coupled with the audio options should help in identifying iron.
dig it up (n/t)
January 08, 2019 01:55PM
This message does not contain any text.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018