Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

The button in the first pic is from the Royal Blackheath Golf Club....

We had an AMAZING day!!
March 16, 2009 09:41PM
There were 6 of us today....Ron, Clem, James, Jamie, Sanford, and myself.
Before we arrived James called me to say that he'd already dug a finial and a friction primer, and said that he had a good feeling about today. If only he had known!
When I arrived with Ron and Clem (staying at our house a couple days between B&G and DIV), we met up with the others, and started out. I immediately dug a fired 3 ringer, then another. James was a few yards away with the same action, and Ron chimed in on the radio with some fired bullets. We would update the rest of the crew with our finds as we dug them, which kept us all in a fired up "relic mood".
I started in a different location. Got 2 signals within 18" of each other. Dug the first: a Sharps. Checked the hole, and had another signal (around 30-40 VDI). That signal turned out to be a pistol bullet. Checked the hole again, another 30-40 signal...another pistol bullet. At this point I was getting excited! hot smiley Rechecked the hole, another pistol bullet! Once again, I checked the hole after digging....another signal! And now there seemed to be several! This process was repeated another 17 times, and all from an area about 4' around!!!! I was incredulous!!
We continued digging bullets for the next 30 minutes to an hour. All of a sudden, over the sound of my headphones and threshold hum, I hear, "Holy $#^%$!! That's about the most personal thing you could find! Tony, come look at this thing!! #%$%, $^%$^, *&^%$!!!!!! "
James was waving me over. He'd just dug what appears to be a crude ID tag!! It was a small silver coin, which was obviously VERY old. It had the following writing in cursive: "J. D. H____" and the date "1841". James was shaking when he handed it to me to look at!
I can't wait til James posts the pics...hopefully he'll be able to really zoom close so y'all can see the cursive.
Clem also had a great find by way of the button that is shown...we can't figure it out. Any ID help will be greatly appreciated! The back is rusted tin, and has no visible backmark. Illegible characters on the rim of the face.
Ron would also like some ID help with the rectangular item with the gilt. We felt it may be an officer's pin of some sort. Ron would really like to find out!
Thanks for your help! I know y'all will come through!

More finds followed throughout the day. Here are some pics. Enjoy, and thanks for looking!
Tony in Cumberland

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 09:45PM by cumberlandgray.

great day - nice button!! (n/t)
March 21, 2009 12:26PM
This message does not contain any text.
Nice Recoveries!
March 17, 2009 08:18PM
See you at DIV
Nice Button too! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 07:44PM
Really nice finds tony sure wish I could have been there P.S.
March 17, 2009 06:47PM
Ask rookie digger if he will rub a little of his luck on me , that boy is on fire

James A. Farley
wow!! what a great day!!
Nothin like more than one goodie in a hole! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 05:18PM
AMAZING (n/t)
March 17, 2009 04:25PM
The button in the first pic is from the Royal Blackheath Golf Club....
March 17, 2009 11:56AM
It has a long history and the button crest has changed slightly over the years. I am not sure what time period this one is from but I would say mid - 19th century. I am sure that a little research will turn up more info.

http://www.royalblackheath.com/

Great finds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 11:59AM by Randy D.
Re: The button in the first pic is from the Royal Blackheath Golf Club....
March 18, 2009 04:32AM
Hi,

I write a local blog about Blackheath, in the UK (where the Blackheath Royal Golf Club is based), and would love to post a photo of your find on my blog - would that be ok? I would link through to this page, and credit you for the find! Also, several local historians read the blog, and I'm sure would be fascinated to see the golf badge that you discovered! The blog is here:
http://blackheathbugle.wordpress.com/

There are also some posts on it about the golf club. Well done for finding it! Also, whereabouts was it discovered? The google map suggests that it was in the US?!

Thanks,

BB
I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years! What do you think it was doing at a CW site? Another friend of mine dug an identical one at another CW battle site nearby.
Thanks again!
Tony
Dug one myself about 2 years ago at an old house site. It was a buggar to identify....
March 18, 2009 07:08AM
my only guess is that they were fancy buttons that someone acquired and attached to their own clothes? Who knows how they ended up all the way over here. The one I found was in Southwest Indiana.
Just read something else about these buttons..
March 18, 2009 07:13AM
the article states that these were not only available from the golf club but were produced and available all over the world for clothing. That would explain why we find them here in the us on more than one occasion.
Here is copy of a similar one, possibly dfferent time period
March 17, 2009 11:57AM
Great day Great finds! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 11:34AM
Great diggin guys, you all should be primed and ready for this weekend!!! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 09:10AM
Nice digging men!!! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 08:14AM
Sounds like a great day! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 07:42AM
Glad you all did so well!!! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 07:35AM
WTG Guys, great saves today! (n/t)
March 17, 2009 04:41AM

Going for the gold, happy with the lead! JimmyD~

Way to go ,Don'let a little rain stop you from hunting (n/t)
March 17, 2009 12:41AM
Great diggin', guys!!! (n/t)
March 16, 2009 11:27PM
Congrats on a great day digging!! (n/t)
March 16, 2009 11:19PM
Congrats on your AMAZING day Tony!! (n/t)
March 16, 2009 10:25PM
awesome day guys! way to go! (n/t)
March 16, 2009 10:21PM
tony and i had a very great day (n/t)
March 16, 2009 10:06PM
Re: We had an AMAZING day!!
March 16, 2009 09:46PM
Great story, it is always great to have friends along to share in the finds, nice finds and the button is a little different. HH Relic Hunter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018