Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras
KellyCo Metal Detectors Metal Detector Sales of SWMO
Minelab White's Electronics
Garrett Metal Detectors
KellyCo Metal Detectors North Georgia Detectors American Digger
Old Rebellion War Relics & Miniatures Civil War Relics Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

Sweet finds!!! (n/t)

October REBEL Finds (plus a little ordinance) !!!
October 24, 2018 05:07PM
October has been a really great month for me!!! The best finds so far have been yet another 8 inch mortar ball . This is my fourth 8 inch ball and my 17th artillery shell for the 2018! The following week I found the tongue of a plain CS "Artillery Style" two-piece buckle. The buckle is a rare copy of an 1849 Mounted Rifleman's plate (only 1000 made) with the letter "US" removed prior to making an impression in the sand mold. The Rifleman borrowed the sturdy design of the 1839 pattern US "artillery plates" and added extra large belt loops to fit their wider waist belts. A small quantity were made early in the war by an unknown southern shop, and later the letters "CS" were added to the tongue disc. This is plate 68 in Mullinax's book Confederate Belt Buckles and Plates. Incidentally my "Egg Shaped" CS oval waist belt plate I found in Oct of 2014 was found not to far from this tongue! Lastly, just a few days ago I found 2 more gorgeous Mississippi "I" coat buttons loaded with gold gilt from my Mississippi Camp. Both have full standout shanks are back marked Hyde and Goodrich N. O. One of the backs is also silver plated. Around the buttons I also found numerous dropped Gardner bullets (both 54 and 58 caliber), Georgia teat bullets, a Selma Arsenal bullet, and musket balls. I also found a brass finial to a Confederate cartridge box. Incidentally, this is my 10th Mississippi "I" button from this camp! All of these finds were found on the Virginia Peninsula with my XP Deus. What a month it has been!!! John Harris aka Devonrex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2018 05:07PM by Devonrex.

love those Mississippi’s (n/t)
November 24, 2018 04:34PM
This message does not contain any text.
Re: October REBEL Finds (plus a little ordinance) !!!
October 31, 2018 09:17PM
Wow, what a awesome year you've had. Them buttons look great. 17 shells is crazy I need to hunt va, I have zero lol. Hope rest of the year is just as good to ya.
Nice Finds! (n/t)
October 30, 2018 01:52PM
Amazing. Congratulations on these fabulous relics! (n/t)
October 30, 2018 01:47PM
very nice!!!!!!!!!! (n/t)
October 27, 2018 01:01PM
Outstanding!!!
October 26, 2018 09:30AM
What a month, indeed!!!! I love those Mississippi I buttons.. I have one that I dug in Port Hudson, La. and it is my all-time favorite button in my collection. Such a pretty button!!! Congrats again!! You Rocked it!!

Mike
Sweet finds!!! (n/t)
October 25, 2018 04:59PM
Re: WOW FANTASTIC Really no words can express GREAT FINDS sunny (n/t)
October 25, 2018 01:38PM
Absolutely Awesome finds! Congrats John! (n/t)
October 25, 2018 09:42AM
Fantastic recoveries! Congrats! good job (n/t)
October 24, 2018 11:42PM
Re: October REBEL Finds (plus a little ordinance) !!!
October 24, 2018 10:26PM
Too Cool dance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018