Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

How to clean DIV glass bottles??

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Diggin' In Virginia XLVI
November 4th - 6th, 2019
Diggin' In Virginia XLVII
November 7th - 9th

Participant List

Release Form

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

How to clean DIV glass bottles??
August 01, 2018 10:18PM
Good evening everyone! Need help on cathedral pickle bottle I dug at last Ratrie… It has some tough scale on the inside that just will not come out with soaking and bottle brush scrubbing. I have only dug 3 intact bottles in 40+ DIV's so I'm not an expert in this area... please help!!!! What do all you bottle experts use to clean the inside of your civil war period glass?

Doc Rodney

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 10:21PM by Rodney Cox (csadoc).
This message does not contain any text.
Re: How to clean DIV glass bottles??
August 02, 2018 05:18PM
Doc,

I tumble bottles and have been doing it for years. I can tumble just the inside of the bottle or the outside as well if you prefer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 04:58PM by mmurray590.
how many bejeebers come out?? grinning smiley (n/t)
August 03, 2018 07:21PM

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
4 sometimes 5 (n/t)
August 08, 2018 11:26AM
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up (n/t)
August 03, 2018 02:10PM

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
August 02, 2018 04:41PM
Good to know what people shared.
That's the great thing about this group...
August 02, 2018 05:13PM
So many with expertise in so many different specialties and they are all willing to share their knowledge... these guys and gals rock!

Doc
best way to clean the inside....................
August 02, 2018 02:28PM
Get some fairly heavy COPPER wire, strip the insulation off and cut it in 1/4 " chunks/lengths. You will need a fair decent pile of it. put it inside your glass to be cleaned, and shake the heck out of it while your watching Tv or something. Cleans the inside really really well and doesnt damage the bottle. That medium is what folks put in bottles when they have a regular bottle cleaning machine/tumbler. Works great. I pre-clean my bottles with soap first, and then a soak in CLR or Super Clean. Use room temp water.

CLR
August 02, 2018 08:51AM
I've used CLR on some of the old bottles I've acquired and it works pretty well. First I clean out the dirt with soap & water and after a good rinse I pour in some CLR. A quarter cup is more than enough for a good sized bottle and 3 or 4 tablespoons will work for an ink bottle. Make sure you let it soak into the entire interior surface. A good wipe down of the exterior with a CLR soaked rag or paper towel will do a lot of good but it will be slippery so be careful not to drop the bottle. After an hour or so I rinse them out well with some warm water and let them drain and dry. This will clean out most residue but some scaling can remain as it's a permanent change to the glass itself and not a residue of any sort. CLR is also safe to use which helps a lot.

August 01, 2018 10:27PM
Doc, I have never cleaned a dug bottle but sold antiques/vintage items for about 10 years. I was told to use Alka-Seltzer or efferdent tablets to clean the crap off old glass. It actually worked much of the time but I imagine it depends on if it is a lime deposit, crap from rotting foliage, or whatever. I was told to never use the dishwasher on vintage glass. Maggie
Thanks Maggie! Oops on the dish soap... (n/t)
August 01, 2018 10:32PM
dish soap is fine Doc. She said dish WASHER and I concur. (n/t)
August 02, 2018 02:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018