Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

Yes indeed John, Great hunt with some really great finds. Thanks for giving us the chance to hit it again.. (n/t)

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Diggin' In Virginia XLVI
November 4th - 6th, 2019
Diggin' In Virginia XLVII
November 7th - 9th

Participant List

Release Form

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

DIV 44 is in the books.....
March 27, 2019 06:27PM
Lots of nice finds this time around. Tough going for some folks unfamiliar with relic hunting in VA but the finds were numerous. I know of at least 8 shells or solid shot. 6 or 7 nice Confederate buttons and folks who were persistent got lots of Confederate bullets way back in the woods on what I call Georgia Hill where my uncle and I wandered into the camp back there and he dug a perfect Georgia Boxplate on a very snowy and cold day in February in the late 60's. Lots of memories in those woods for me and I was very glad to see all those Gardners and pretty Georgia buttons surfacing for folks.

"The major difference between the most and least successful person is the latter's lack of awareness. Successful people are critical of their own performance. Unsuccessful people are critical of the performance of others."

Will Rogers once said "There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
Re: DIV 44 is in the books.....
April 08, 2019 08:11PM
it was great to be able to get back to diggin in Va ! i had a great time hunting at Fair Oaks ! Thanks John & Rose & committee for giving us the opportunity to detect there !
April 04, 2019 03:25PM
Sorry we missed it!
I like hunting that farm. (n/t)
April 02, 2019 12:48PM
This message does not contain any text.
March 31, 2019 10:10PM
Hi DIV'ers
Other than the Arthritic fingers,sore muscles and poison ivy this dig was a memorable first for me,Fair Oaks and Brandy Station combined brought forth miles of hunting and created tons of relics and friends.
Who would have thought someone would be digging a horse pit...lol? and thinking so many hut's and pits we're still attainable. I was happy with my finds being a first timer. I'LL be just as pleased in the fall as I've won a sign up for a fall dig .
So I'd like to thank John,Rose, committee members, concessions,DIV members, medical staff, property owners,Shane Smith for driving and anyone I may have missed.
There were so many relics found for these sites being cherry picked for so many years, I was astounded.Since Brandy is tilled so many times for planting it should produce for quite some time. I will be anticipating the next.
Good luck everyone with your digs this summer,may your relics be rare and your time enjoyable.
Keep your coil to the soil.
Kind regards, Raymond Grier
March 31, 2019 09:59PM
Thanks Rose and John. Had some nice finds and had a great time. Hope to come again.
March 31, 2019 07:26PM
Looks like another good time had. I am looking forward to making it to another DIV soon. :-)
John, what are some of the finds you’ve made back in those woods? (n/t)
March 31, 2019 07:03PM

Eric Champigny
March 31, 2019 07:40AM
Thank you so much for the Invite , Thrilled to be there I had some luck on the last day ( my only day of 44), I dug three nice bullets a Musket ball and Shocked to win 2 raffles too boot ... Thanks again John and Rose
March 30, 2019 11:25PM
John and Rose

I have been to most of the DIV's over the last 8 years. My first DIV was Brandy Rock Farm with a TDI. My fist target ever with a TDI was a Bulls Eye Rosette and a few other great relics. I was tickled to death. Over the years Brandy gave me a KILLER pewter ID Disk from William DeHartt First NJ Volunteers Co. B. Brandy has given me time and time again great finds. But I HAD a HUGE humbling experience this weekend when you drove by with Mrs. Rose and we were talking about the Mississippi Plate that was just found. I had just woken up from an hour nap due to taken Alieve because of a bad left shoulder. About 20 minutes later after talking with friends and having a few laughs, I went and dug my first target for the morning and Hence.......came the sword at 21 inches deep. Tracy Alberti had to run to his vehicle to grab his little Back and Decker hand saw to cut an 8 inch in diameter tree root that was sitting right on top of the sword. Could not have been in a better location with reference to the tree root covering the last 6 inches of the sword. Tracy never asked he just took action, told me to stop, do not pull the sword blade and ran to his truck to grab his little hand saw. And now you know the rest of the story.

In a nutshell this is what I learned over the last 8 years. You are not always going to have a killer hunt. There will be times when you get the Bear, and there are times when the Bear gets you. Or.....you may be the windshield one hunt and you may the be the bug at the next hunt. The main thing though is..............always hold your posture, think positive, stop worrying about the others who are reeling in some big fish, put your coil to the ground and get moving. Like the old saying .....get busy living or get busy dying. You have said it over and over again, Brandy has so many many relics to be found just have to get over them with the coil.

IF, you decide to allow us another opportunity to get back to good old Brandy, I will gladly follow you there anytime Sir John. No questions asked. THANK YOU TO YOU AND ROSE AND THE COMMITTEE FOR PUTTING ON ANOTHER GREAT DIG.

On another note, I did leave early this morning to MA due to a very serious shoulder issue and I just needed to get back to find out what is going on. I apologize for that. I have the snow to thank for that issue.

The greatest thing that DIV offers will always be the friendships, the friendships and the friendships!!!!!!

Again, thank you both so much for another great opportunity to dig in VA.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 11:41PM by scoopydoo.
May 01, 2019 11:06AM
Wonderful stories! Couldn't make this hunt but looking forward to the next signups.

Brian Kelly
MD'n in MD since 2012
real Nice and Heartfelt Post
March 31, 2019 07:19AM
Gary we may not of met but congrats for an awesome post and for a Fantastic Relic .... Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2019 07:51PM by Dumpsite Digger.
Re: real Nice and Heartfelt Post
March 31, 2019 07:43PM
Thank you Jim, very much appreciated. I keep learning something new from every dig and I take it with me to remind myself how lucky I am to just be on these historic properties and detect.

Hope we all have a great fall hunt and look forward to meeting you Jim.
Thank You and Same here Gary ... (n/t)
May 02, 2019 08:11PM
Thanks again for the opportunity John, had a blast!! (n/t)
March 30, 2019 10:33AM

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable solider on earth." Stonewall Jackson
March 28, 2019 03:54PM
Thanks for a great DIV 44 John & Rose...had a great time and found a lot of nice relics. Looking forward to DIV 46 !
March 28, 2019 11:57AM
Thanks' John & Rose. Found some relics and had a great time !!!!

Bill Butski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Guests: 359 on August 22, 2019