Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

Re: Need some advice about Coles Hill and Spillman

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Diggin' In Virginia XLVI
November 4th - 6th, 2019
Diggin' In Virginia XLVII
November 7th - 9th

Participant List

Release Form

Participant List

Release Form

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

Need some advice about Coles Hill and Spillman
June 29, 2019 07:32PM
I’m a DIV newbie, I’ve just gone to Fair Oaks so far. I have an Equinox 600 and did pretty well there for never hunted for Civil War relics before. I found five different types of bullets, the base of a Parott shell, a couple of old horseshoes and a rivet. I know that ideally I should have a PI machine but that’s just not in my budget. I don’t know how many times these sites have been hunted before and therefore what my odds are for finding shallower targets that I could find with my Equinox. I’m sure there are a ton of deeper targets at these locations but not sure I’d find them with my machine. Should I wait for a future DIV to a new site with a better chance of finding shallower targets or sign up now? I’m itching to try to find my first Civil War button or any other relics that I haven’t found yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
July 02, 2019 08:42PM
Yes, I am favorable toward Spillman... a fused 12-pounder will do that to you.

Re: Need some advice about Coles Hill and Spillman (n/t)
July 02, 2019 08:39PM
This message does not contain any text.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2019 08:44PM by Scaper.
July 01, 2019 12:07PM
Thanks for all of your advice! I think I’ll wait and try to get into a new site when they offer one. Think my odds will be better then. I considered renting a machine but think I’d end up being frustrated trying to learn it instead of concentrating on finding relics. Thanks again!
July 02, 2019 08:32AM
If you haven't done so already, you should read this post; https://www.mytreasurespot.com/main/read.php?5,686295

I wrote it and it explains that regardless of the DIV site, you are going to need a PI detector if your focus is recovering finds at DIV (my focus is having a good time with good friends, but I want to find relics too - it's a bonus). It is just a nature of the biz detecting in North Central VA. Waiting for the DIV hunt that accommodates your Equinox 600 is going to be a futile endeavor. Because of the ground mineralization and the depth of finds at these sites which have been hunted relentlessly over the years, not just by DIV groups, depth is key and only a PI can punch through the mineralization with significant depth. Your 600 is going to perform equally as well at any of these sites (not as good as a PI but you will find artifacts as you did at Fair Oaks - which believe me was a challenging site regardless of the mineralization level) and since getting invited to DIV is never a given, if you are wanting to hunt relics and have few other options to do so, it is in your own best interest to sign up for any DIV you can afford to attend. That's my take.
June 30, 2019 06:14PM
considered renting a gpx????
Both sites will be tough for a VLF machine....
June 30, 2019 10:49AM
They have been hit hard with pulse machines and most not so deep targets have already been dug. Also the ground at both sites is much hotter than Fair Oaks.
Re: Both sites will be tough for a VLF machine....
June 30, 2019 04:01PM
I did Spillman's with a VLF (Minelab XTerra) and wanted to wrap it around a tree after a few hours the first morning. I had an "iffy" signal and had trouble finding it. Turned out to a stinkin Lincoln in the roots of the surface grass not even a half inch deep. The ground is THAT BAD! There are areas of Coles Hill that may be easier with a VLF such as the firing range. No one will say you can't have luck with a VLF (I know as I found a box plate with the XTerra on my very 1st hunt at Beauregard - DIV XX) but the odds are not in your favor. Look into renting a PI if you can.
Both have been hunted.....
June 30, 2019 11:33AM
I hunted the first Spillman hunt with an MXT PRO and found my first and only ID tag there. I noticed people were finding a lot more stuff with the pulse machines so I upgraded to the TDI. On the second hunt I found tons of brass (buttons, j-hooks, scabbard tip, kepi buckle and much more). I now have the GPX and cannot wait to go back. Yes it has been hunted before but I agree that you are going to be much better off with a pulse machine. The TDI would be your best bet if you are on budget and want to dig buttons. It is a brass magnet. All brass are high tones and all bullets and iron are low tones. So if you just dig the high tones you will find a good amount of brass. I also have the Equinox 800 that I take as a back up machine. If you do take the Equinox put it in all metal and dig all signals.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 92 on September 29, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 349 on April 09, 2018