Howdy!! Log In Register A New Profile Link Exchange Image Resize Terms of service Extras

Battle at Spillmans farm?

DIV Frequently Asked Questions

DIV Photo Gallery
DIV Checklist

Diggin' In Virginia XLVIII
March 30 - April 1, 2020
Diggin' In Virginia XLIX
April 2 - April 4, 2020

Participant List

Participant List

Please use the other forums on the Spot for non-DIV related post.
Diggin' in Virginia is in NO WAY affiliated with any other "organized" hunts.
We DO NOT have any contact information for any principals of any other "organized" relic hunts.
PLEASE DO NOT email or call us for information on hunts other than DIV!

Battle at Spillmans farm?
June 30, 2019 04:08PM
Howdie DIV'ers,
Wondering what battle or camp may have been on the Spillmans farm property?
I've researched but the YouTube videos don't specify any tactical insights or possible living quarters on the property.
Thanks for any insights, Raymond Grier
Re: Battle at Spillmans farm?
July 03, 2019 03:29PM
What were talking about is the south end of Spillman. During the battle of Brandy Station the confederate batteries were on a line on the St. James Church road. When they evacuated they crossest the south end of Spillman. It was the only part that was involved in the "battle".

Bailey J. Butler - Private, Co. A., 136th Illinois Infantry Regiment
Oliver T. Butler - Lieutenant, Shaw's Battalion (Hamilton's Battalion.) Tennessee Cavalry (Confederate)
James B. Butler - Co. D 89th Illinois Inf. - deserted Jan 1863 from the hospital in Louisville, KY
James. H. Butler - deserted on May 3, 1864
William H. Butler - Co. D 89th Illinois Inf. -
William Sargent Butler - Co. D 89th Illinois Inf. - Captured New Hope Church May 27, 1864, Ga. - Died Andersonville, Georgia October 5, 1864,
Newton C. Butler - Co. D 89th Illinois Inf. - Captured New Hope Church May 27, 1864, Ga. - Died Andersonville, Georgia October 10, 1864
Duncan R. Butler - Co. E, 60th Regiment of Illinois Infantry Volunteer's
Welcome M. Butler - Co. K, 13 Illinois Calvary Regiment
Jasper Butler - Battery "C", 2nd Regiment Missouri Light Artillery
Robert M. Carter - Co. F, 46th Illinois Infantry Regiment, 30 Dec 1861-29 Dec 1864
Charles L. Carter - Co. G, 142nd Indiana Infantry Regiment, 4 Oct 1864 -14 Jun 1865
Lennox H. Counts - Company A, 22nd Virginia Cavalry (Bowen's Reg't Va. Mounted Riflemen)
Samuel E. Flyte - Company G, 67th Pennsylvania Vols. Jan 1862 - July 1865
William Wallace West - Co. "C" 18th Texas Calvary, 4th Brigade, Walker's Texas Division - Discharged June 14, 1865,
Charles H. West - Died on September 3, 1862. Buried at the mouth of the Osage River on the Arkansas side,
Isaiah B. West - Battery "H", 2nd Regiment Missouri Light Artillery - Died September 27, 1864. Shot in the head Battle of Pilot Knob',
Welcome Ussery - Company G, 5th Reserves Infantry Regiment Georgia.
William Ussery - Company B, 35th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab CTX 3030, Teknetics G2+ LTD

July 03, 2019 06:43PM
Scott,
That's a great pic you added.
Is it Spillmans property boundaries? I've only attended 2 digs and every little bit of info steer's me in the right direction for my bucket listers .
July 04, 2019 09:05AM
RPG GARGOYLE
Scott,
That's a great pic you added.
Is it Spillmans property boundaries? I've only attended 2 digs and every little bit of info steer's me in the right direction for my bucket listers .

Perhaps the lower left 2/3rds of the red bounded area is still Spillman's. CW Preservation Associations own/lease the upper right third from the trees in the center over towards the airfield. We are talking about 100 - 150 acres, in that area, which is the lower 4th or 5th of Spillman's property. John will let us know the hunt boundaries in the fall, so no guarantees at this point how much of what Scott posted will be in bounds.

I wouldn't focus too much on specific aspects of the historical record of transient events such as battles because the context is mostly not relevant from a relic hunter's perspective due to years of farming and relic hunting which scatters and depletes the surface targets. In other words luck is the operative term there. The most valuable intel, if you can obtain it, is from the relic hunters themselves as to where previous hot spots were revealed, especially likely encampment sites, as the highest concentration of relics accumulated where soldiers occupied the land daily for months on end. FWIW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 09:09AM by htcampbell2.
The Battle of Brandy Station was all around and dug in 6th corps winter camp.....
June 30, 2019 04:38PM
Most relics dug at Spillman are from the winter camp with occasional confederate and battle relic mixed in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Guests: 2955 on October 07, 2019